bigger tyres of a lift?

jameslwt

Been out playing at Bunny Lane today with mixed results. Have just this week fitted a seriously chunky guard that hangs down about 2" form the chassis rails under the transfer box - if your wondering it's to protect the pto on my h14 setup - I bent the last one! Anyway, the guard is brilliant, and does the job, but of course I have now lost some clearance when going over humps etc. Not helped by the fact that it's a 110!

So.......bigger tyres - 35's or whatever, or a suspension lift? Oh yeah - and cheap! (what, cheap - I must be joking!) Running 265/75/16's at the mo.

cheers

James

Suspension lift won't give you better under axle clearance, the only way to gain that is with bigger tyres - bear in mind if you go too big, you will need suspension lift to fit them in and maintain articulation clearances :)

Suspension lift won't give you better under axle or chassis clearance, the only way to gain that is with bigger tyres - bear in mind if you go too big, you will need suspension lift to fit them in and maintain articulation clearances :)

surely a suspension lift will give more clearance beneath the chassis?

Easy soloution.

Buy my 12,50 x 33 rims & tyres from the RRC LSE I was in today and fit a 2" spring lift.

My LSE is only 2" shorter than you 110 and I drove the same hill you got stuck on both up and down with only rubbing on the chassie on the way up.

with a lift you could still use your truck everyday still with 33" on it. I will be taking mine off soon to fit my 35" maxxis tyres your welcom to fit a set and take it for a test drive to see what you think.

Easy soloution.

Buy my 12,50 x 33 rims & tyres from the RRC LSE I was in today and fit a 2" spring lift.

My LSE is only 2" shorter than you 110 and I drove the same hill you got stuck on both up and down with only rubbing on the chassie on the way up.

with a lift you could still use your truck everyday still with 33" on it. I will be taking mine off soon to fit my 35" maxxis tyres your welcom to fit a set and take it for a test drive to see what you think.

what sort of money are we looking at for those nice tyres? (swop you for a garage!! :ph34r: )

just springs or springs/shocks etc?

James you have any photos of the PTO guard?

Would like to have a look - been trialing today at Aldermaston and concerened for my PTO

Steve

Here's a couple - will take some more tomorrow of it on the truck. Made mostly of 50mm box section - no real reason-just what I had lying around. welded 2 angle brackets onto gearbox crossmember to provide bolt holes, but it buts up underneath the crossmember so the force is against it. At the back welded 2 brackets - one each side. Idea being that if I should ever sell it, could take guard off and leave brackets (very unobtrusive) on. Had truck sat on it quite nicely at times today, and it didn't grumble! And judging by the amount of muck under the truck, I would have ripped the pto off for sure. (in the past been very caeful about where I drove to avoid losing it - takes away a lot of the fun!)

The two long arms point forwards - 1 each side of the pto, and the angled one goes between the pto and the handbrake. It hinges down at the back on the 2 short arms so you can get to the t box etc easilly.

James

post-2375-1191787443_thumb.jpg

post-2375-1191787458_thumb.jpg

with a lift you could still use your truck everyday still with 33" on it.

should get away without a lift. just need to cliip the corners of the arches and proabbly do abit of heating and pulling to get the plastic of the arches to cover the tread completely.

255.85x16 tyres.

Still fit on standard setup, but rub on full articulation.

Would give you a little more clearance under your diffs.

Then get a 2" lift kit, and the rubbing will stop.

You may need to adjust the steering stops depending on the wheels you use.

This tyre size also fits 7" rims.

Why not (as fridge suggested) just clock the pto and bin the guard?

Won't that create all sorts of issues with having to shift exhaust/make new mounting brackets/operating lever etc?

Might be easier to sell it and buy an electric winch!

Won't that create all sorts of issues with having to shift exhaust/make new mounting brackets/operating lever etc?

Might be easier to sell it and buy an electric winch!

The exhaust might need a straight pipe in place of the center box and depending on how you mount the shaft a new n/s gearbox mounting may be needed, the control lever can easily be bent into shape.

It would probably be easier buy an electric winch, but there is nothing on the market that will even come close to the H14.

The exhaust might need a straight pipe in place of the center box and depending on how you mount the shaft a new n/s gearbox mounting may be needed, the control lever can easily be bent into shape.

It would probably be easier buy an electric winch, but there is nothing on the market that will even come close to the H14.

This is true, but it is a PITA to use! Now if there was an easy way to have it on remotes!!

I like your thinking Mr Fridge, but that sounds scary to fit (and expensive??). Enlighten me further!! I know nothing about electric clutches!

There's one on the front of every air-con compressor, so not hard to come by and capable of transmitting a decent torque. You can buy industrial ones easily enough, not sure of prices. Next question is why do you want to operate an engine-driven winch without being in the vehicle?

There's one on the front of every air-con compressor, so not hard to come by and capable of transmitting a decent torque. You can buy industrial ones easily enough, not sure of prices. Next question is why do you want to operate an engine-driven winch without being in the vehicle?

A true point. Not an issue anymore as circumstances have changed and truck is now up for sale. Thanks tho!

James

Thanks for the note and photos would like to see it on the truck

Mr Diesel questions for you

I have a straight through exhaust - so the pto can be clocked over this also have a x disc hand brake the leaver will clash - I expect this can be bent to suit another thing is that that theres a square part on top mates with the same on gearbox I think what happens with this or is it not a problem?

Sorry for the hyjack

Steve