Discovery weight 'Vs' performance drop

streaky

Heyup lad,

Get some numbers for steady state conditions, ie just cruising at 50, 70, 90 kph etc. Average the results for each speed and now you can get an idea of what is happening in the chamber. It would be easier to use a laptop to log the results.

As Fridge says above only Mark Adams will know if your chipped ECU will respond to lambda sensors. It should do, it is unlikely he would disable that function. The problem arises in that to enable closed loop operation you will be switching to a different map, he may not have modified a closed loop map. You run an open loop system with a yellow tune resistor,if you change tune resistor to enable closed loop operation then you will probably end up with a non-modified map, hence his question about cats etc when you ordered the chip.

Continue to try to contact Mark to confirm this.

In the meantime you could use a standard ECU, change the tune resistor to white, install Land Rover lambda sensors and check out what AFR results that provides.

It's getting chilly here, might soon need a holiday, if only work didn't get in the way.

jw

Hi John. Thanks for that mate.

I've sent another Mail to Mark Adams.... hopefully Seans nudge will assist in me getting a response.

The car goes into AAA in the New year to go through Seans check list and to fit the sensors/O2 stuff.

I'll pay yer flight to Dubai if you want to come over and sort this little lot out?.... seriously!

• 2 months later...
Be interested in the results on the wideband, should be running about 14.7 when cruising along and maybe down to 13 - 14 when floored, if its running 13's when cruising then that might explain the poor economy and the coking up on the heads

I've been trawling back through the old posts to bring them back up to the top with updates.

Your spot on with your bit about 13's when cruising....thats exactly what I'm getting. I've started logging the numbers on the lap top but untill I pay for the TEWBLOG software I can only view the numbers on the screen and not save them to study or post up.

I guess I should just pay the guy for the software and get the most out of the WB & LX1 that I bought from Tech Edge.

I'm going to have a fiddle with the AFM before the next long drive out.

How would using a tail pipe sniffer benefit the results? Surely the WB sensor is more accurate in it's readings?

What figures could I expect to get from a sniffer that I couldn't get from a WB sensor?

Thx.

S.

How would using a tail pipe sniffer benefit the results? Surely the WB sensor is more accurate in it's readings?

It will tell you stuff like %CO and %HC although frankly the only thing you're really interested in is the reading from the wideband, I wouldn't bother with a sniffer until you've got the rich running smoothed out.

If only you had a MS ECU to plug that wideband into you could datalog with MegaTune for free B)

I'm just putting this up on here to see what response comes back.

Now the WB sensor and display are all installed & connected I have been out driving to monitor the results.

Everything is pointing towards 'rich' as I suspected but one very surprising reading is when I decellerate or the engine is on over-run. The LCD display reads richer than ever!

I have performed the Free Air calibration twice just to confirm the process etc and the results were the same each time.

What could cause the engine to run Rich on the over-run? Would this mean that the Efi is stuck in open-loop & just pumping fuel in no matter what the circumstance?

The ideal figure of 14.7 has been reduced to 12's when I decellerate.....strange eh.

Thanks.

S.

Heyup,

Fuel pressure regulation and TPS signal want watching closely. Fuel pressure by SAFE gauge in cab while driving and TPS by using USR1 and 2 of 2J1 with a laptop. If you have one fit an in-cab vacuum gauge just to see what the manifold vacuum reaches. AFM air signal needs logging as well.

E-mail with comments sent.

johnw