V8: cam followers slightly ticking on cold start

DuRRk

I recently fitt a new crower 'torque' camshaft with 'rhoads bleed-down' lifters, results where amazing, a whole lot of extra torque low down! Now recently the engine ticks a little, only on the cold start, and its difficult to hear, it looks like the lifters have to fill up with oil again. Is this sounding familliar to others? Do others have experiences with the 'rhoads bleed down' lifters?

http://www.v8tuner.co.uk/

It doesn't look too harmfull to me, or should I change the oil type?

I use 15 W40 mineral oil now, it is should be a perfect oil for the engine according to the books.

anyone ideas or tips?

thanx,

Durk

Range Rover V8 high compression 9:35:1, 2 strombergs, on lpg

You might find this link of interest. It comments on the low speed ticking problem with this type of lifter.

http://patentstorm.us/patents/7131411-description.html

Ve-e-ery interesting....

So my sh*gged lifters will improve my low-down torque!

:D :D :D :D

Now I have an excuse for having an engine that sound like someone pouring ball-bearings onto a plate :lol:

Ve-e-ery interesting....

So my sh*gged lifters will improve my low-down torque!

:D :D :D :D

Now I have an excuse for having an engine that sound like someone pouring ball-bearings onto a plate :lol:

I have rhodes bleed down lidfters in the eales - 'tic'k a bit for first start up - say 1 min or so then all's quiet

Nige

I run 5W-50 fully synthetic.

An oils viscosity has nothing to do with whether it is mineral or synthetic.

In fact synthetic oil still comes from long dead dinosaurs, it's just more refined

and cleaner.

20/50 is the safe bet, but if you read Ian's rather excellent engine build thread he did a lot of homework and concluded that 15W40 magnatec was perfectly OK, and a bit more advanced than the 20/50 available these days.

5W50 is thin for an "old" V8, the later ones with serpentine front ends had a different oil pump which may put up with those (IIRC the official LR oil specs are different), I know from experience that thin oil puts you on dodgy ground in an old V8 as it struggles to prime the pump when hot. Ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Its Gems 4.6 (1998)

And it gets cold here OOP North.

Yesterday was 2C when I went to work, a thin oil is good for starting when cold.

The reason i use 5W(inter) is because having talked to the Mobil1 rep he suggested this

as they don't import 15W-50 into Scandinavia. Mainly due to the fact that there is very little difference

in the cold start capabilities of the oils when the weather is warmer, but much better when colder.

By the way the cold start viscosity(first number) of an oil is measured at 40C an dthe warm engine viscosity

is measured at 100C. So an oil that is 20W-50 will have the same viscosity whether mineral or synthtic.

the difference is in their lubrication and cleaning properties, which is where the synthetic is far superior.

Semisyn. isn't worth having.

• 2 weeks later...