Splined bolts (axle-swivel casing)

gruntus

Gents,

I am looking to replace the bolts that hold the swivel housing onto the front axle as part of the refurb I am carrying out.

Do you recommend alternatives to the multispline head type or do you just replace with original fit?

Either way I would like the part numbers or thread and size information so I can replace them.

Also do you recommend a good supplier or is it a Land Rover Parts department visit?

As an aside why did Land Rover go for this type of bolt in the first place?

As always thanks for your hep and advice in advance.

Best regards

Grant

:)

Guest diesel_jim

Land rover part # FTC3454 "bolt, M10, hexagonal dowell"

or part # FTC3456 which looks like a "normal" hex head bolt. not sure though, i've only seen the splined type (which fit a 12 point ratchet spanner from halfords perfectly! makes taking them off nice and quick.

the thick washer is part # FRC8530

Guest diesel_jim
Oi watch it :D some of us have to work during the day, can't be sat here waiting for part number questions to magically appear :P

i was kind of working as well not dropping the dog & shopping off at home before i popped down to Walfy's house to frop some stuff off busy earning my employers some more money.... :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: B) :D:D

They're not splined, they are bi-hex ie. two hexs on top of each other and a bi-hex spanner or socket will fit ie decent spanner or socket. They are bi-hex to cope with the extra torque required on that bolt.

Mo

Hi Mo, thanks for the correction it was the best way I could describe them at the time :blush:

Thanks to all for the replies. :)

Cheers

G