Chips

GBMUD

Well...maybe that is why mine smokes a lot...higher torque, less BHP. However I do not have larger intercooler...the guys overhere don´t get bigger intercoolers as they say it increases the lag in accelarating at low revs (what you need in offroading). I´ve got to give them credit on one thing....I really do not have any lag whatsoever, comparing to other remaped Td5s, which are very weak in low revs, but then have "power explosions"

mid-range is where I got the best improvement.

which is what I wanted for my "road-going" disco... I can cruise on the MWay, and overtaking is so sweet.

I did not want more torque... I would have be worried for my R380... 9I'm sure they can take more than 380Nm.. but I don't want to play with it.... too much )

Well...maybe that is why mine smokes a lot...higher torque, less BHP. However I do not have larger intercooler...the guys overhere don´t get bigger intercoolers as they say it increases the lag in accelarating at low revs (what you need in offroading). I´ve got to give them credit on one thing....I really do not have any lag whatsoever, comparing to other remaped Td5s, which are very weak in low revs, but then have "power explosions"

I'm confused.... I thought you had a Transgender (transit powered defender) not a Td5??

If so, there is no comparison comparing turbo lag between them....

The Puma has a Variable Vain Turbo so will always have less lag, and better bottom end pick up/torque...

If you start dumping lots of fuel in at low rpm on a Td5 (to try and reduce lag) you will get quite a bit of smoke (and not actually achieve that much!!) - Simply because the turbo takes longer to start producing boost.

Also... lots of black smoke - is simply that, and doesn't really achieve anything - is simply wasted fuel.

Also, intercooler wise... yes and no.

It is a compromise.... and is massively affected by intercooler design and core type.

Typically a larger intercooler will increase lag due to the larger volume that needs to be filled (and a poor core design, or poor intercooler design will increase resistance within the intercooler - thus inducing more lag).

However, an large efficient intercooler will be beneficial because it will further reduce intake air temps - which will ultimately lead to more power.... but as mentioned before it is a compromise between lag, air temps, applications etc etc.

Another good method is charge cooling esp. for short burst (rather than prolonged running) - but then you get the problem of additional weight/components.

Ian