Mounts for a PC

Se7enUp

Can anyone recommend a decent way of mounting a medium sized laptop onto the dash of a Defender?

I've finally managed to get my laptop set up to run MM and to talk to my GPS reciever.

Problem is it's a pain to use with the laptop strapped to the passenger seat.

In the past I've seen a couple of 90's with laptops in the front but can't figure out how they have mounted them.

Anyone got any experience of doing this?

I've found my little Toughbook M34 fits quite nicely in the cubby box tray, held it in with a strap and a bungee and it survived a weekend of bouncing around without any problems. When I sort out a better solution it would be nice if the screen was nearer the windscreen as it's harder to look down and use it. Have thought about having it flip down from the roof but that makes the keyboard even harder to use...

IMG_0883.jpg

I've got a Ram PDA mount and am really pleased with that so would be looking at their Laptop mounts if I had any money left!

Richard

Can anyone recommend a decent way of mounting a medium sized laptop onto the dash of a Defender?

I've finally managed to get my laptop set up to run MM and to talk to my GPS reciever.

Problem is it's a pain to use with the laptop strapped to the passenger seat.

In the past I've seen a couple of 90's with laptops in the front but can't figure out how they have mounted them.

Anyone got any experience of doing this?

Hi,

Most of the cop cars use these around here..... http://www.diversifiedproducts.net/

Here is Canada... BTW.... but you can get international shipping I believe.

Cheers,

Andy

I've adapted a TV wall mount bracket to hold my laptop.

Photos are on my other computer, will post later.

Simon

Photos would be appreciated.

I'm really trying to do this on a budget as it will only be for occassional use.

Photos would be appreciated.

I'm really trying to do this on a budget as it will only be for occassional use.

Bluetac?? ;);););)

seriously though, it's not too expensive using RAM parts. My Ram mount parts cost about 27-28 pounds

Cheers

Steve

Another way you could do it. And this is how I'm going to do it. Is to have a permanent dash mounted screen and then have a docking station mounted in the cab somewhere (I'm going for on the side of the cubby box or on the bulkhead.) Then you can have the laptop shut and out of the way but still use it. But you will need a usb mouse and keyboard. (which are quite cheap anyway.)

Picture of the docking station

7ee8_1.JPG

I happened to have chosen the Docking Station approach.

While the Docking Station makes it relatively easy to remove the PC to the house for programming work it does bring the problem of a larger footprint to accomodate. I suppose the other distinctive feature is that the PC is hidden. The biggest disadvantage is the remote screen, as 10" seems to be the largest touchscreen that is financially viable. Currently I have an 8" installed, but a 10" in the box waiting for a mounting modification.

I should point out that as well as power, I have connections via the parallel port, serial port, and sound input port to the car. Once a hidden PC installation is decided upon, then there is the VGA to a remote screen, and USB connections to keyboard, Bluetooth dongle, WiFi card / aerial, and memory stick.

The main justification for such an approach is the automatic switch on and switch off, which obviously takes some creative circuit design and wiring. The PC normally lives in the car full time, and the remote screen folds flat, to be less obvious when parked up.

I guess I'm lucky, in that I don't seem to park in 'dodgy' areas.

I don't consider my approach better, just different. Even reviewing the arrangements in the rest of the thread, I still think MY requirements are best met with a (more complex) permanent installation, rather than carrying the PC back and forth for every trip.

Cheers

David do you use a laptop? (thats how i read it but i just wanted to check) What vehicle is your install in?

I am currently using a 12" widescreen tablet that i mount on the dash when i need it. This is coupled with a 12v power supply (via cigaret plug). This suits me as i only use the vehicle a couple of times a month at the moment (trying to save for a comp 90 and working hard)

I am loooking into a dedicated car computer at the moment but funds are tight :(

Do you think its possable to use the components from an older laptop and put them into a small case for a more permant setup (such as the car computer style cases?) Such as LinITX

I realised after posting that I had actually gone way Off Topic. My mistake.

The question was about mounting a (medium sized laptop) PC in a Defender (Dash Mount).

I wrote about a laptop PC, but it's in a 38A, which is so far remote from a Defender that the solution doesn't apply.

Benny,

Yes I use a Laptop, a fairly small Dell. Small helped with the packaging, but it was actually a fortuitous acquisition when a colleague left work, not a deliberate purchase. If you can't find space for a laptop, then try a different format, but I think what is common to all the installations is that there is a surprising amount of time, both in planning and execution, in mounting a PC in a car. Thus going for a Re-build PC is just adding to the time and effort to be invested before you can start using the PC.

Personally I would use a laptop, as near to standard as possible.

If you want to hide it away, as the mention of LINITX suggests, then it can go 'anywhere', and it's mainly the Touchscreen you have to mount, but in total this can be more complication than the floor / tunnel post mount solutions used above, for laptops.

RAM mounts have a good name, and are currently a LOT cheaper in the UK than they were when I started on this game.

You are looking to spend money elsewhere, so that is another justification for using a simple plain unmodified laptop. Look at how many people use them, and hard drives etc survive, so you don't need a ToughBook or other extreme design.

My installation is deliberately wired into the vehicle sensors, but I suspect most people only need Power and GPS (via hardwired lead or Bluetooth). The power regulation within Laptops is pretty damn good. The small 12 volt DC to DC converters only need to be within a volt or so and the Laptop will handle it OK.

HTH.

The main justification for such an approach is the automatic switch on and switch off, which obviously takes some creative circuit design and wiring.

Or just buy a 12V DC - DC PSU with switching capabilities, off the shelf.

Benny, Yes, Laptop HD and CD drives can be used with an ITX motherboard to build a very small size built-in PC. Laptops win with screen size and cost, ITX win on installtion size.

I've got an ITX and 8" touchscreen in my 90, it survives well. However, I cannot afford £600 worth of Computer in a challenge truck, so my RR will probably have a cheapo laptop for Nav and Megasquirt. something like a toughbook etc.

I bought the components from Linitx and build the PC myself. there's not much point butchering an old laptop.