Centre winch

russ1

For example, a punch 20m down from the summit of a steep hill. Every other car has to winch down to the punch from the top, whereas a mid winch equiped car can hook up to a tree/ground anchor and drive accross the otherwise impassible hill

Thats the theory behind mine anyway. And with mine it is all just theory, If I end up never using it then I'll take it off and build a bigger tank

Like your thinking Lewis :)

The need for most centre winches is a direct result of the Dutch Challenge events that are run on very small man made courses and require the vehilce to be supported to stop it from rolling.

This lead to an outbreak of center-winch-itish as many then followed suit.

I am a firm beleiver in the winch coming out the side, however center winches that have the cable coming out of the roof do tend to suffer with stability problems as the vehicles do tend to 'flick' if the side slope is soft or slippery, hence why most successful teams in Holland have there winches coming out the side not the roof.

There are also then those that think that three winches is over the top (Hi :) ) and that with a bit of thinking the rear can be made to do both jobs, but what do i know :rolleyes:

And Many of the Dutch have said that they do use all three winches at the same time when competing?

So the plot thickens

Jim :D

Well, I am dutch and I think they are more disadvantage than advantage. You might occasionally use it, but as jim say (we agree) you can use your rear winch for this. Bearing in mind you add around 50 kg ( depending on which winch you use) which is holding you back anywhere you dont need it, I say dont bother.

Well, I am dutch and I think they are more disadvantage than advantage. You might occasionally use it, but as jim say (we agree) you can use your rear winch for this. Bearing in mind you add around 50 kg ( depending on which winch you use) which is holding you back anywhere you dont need it, I say dont bother.

Unless you double your rear up as a centre!

i co drive for Alan kemp , who has a centre winch fitted , and it really is use full , for side slopes as mentioned , pulling the vehicle over to a punch

and clearing trees , at the Tay challange this year it was a real benifit having the centre winch , saved us some time on certain stages

also comes in handy for any maintainance or tyre changes required