Headlights on warning...

So...I get back to the 110 after work and the alarm fob button doesn't flash the indicators when I press it... mmmm.

Long and short of it is I left the headlights on in the morning and you can guess the rest.

Has anyone wired in a warning buzzer so that if the lights are on when the ignition is off I don't do it again (there was on my 95 Disco - factory fitted) ? Is so any help appreciatted - checked the tech archive but couldn't see anything in there.

Ps - Thank you Mr RAC..arrive 40 mins of getting the callout.

And this is the way I've done it for years on a lot of vehicles incl my RRC.

12 volt buzzer from maplins.

Locate the live feed from the light switch to the sidelights. (Power present when sidelights on)

Connect one side of the buzzer to that.

Take a wire from the other side of the buzzer to the drivers door courtesy light switch (which is an earth to body)

When lights on & door is opened buzzer will sound. Never used a diode & - to date - never had a problem.

Total cost less than £2.

You do of course use any of these methods at your own risk!

Locate the live feed from the light switch to the sidelights. (Power present when sidelights on)

Take a wire from the other side of the buzzer to the drivers door courtesy light switch (which is an earth to body)

When lights on & door is opened buzzer will sound. Never used a diode & - to date - never had a problem.

Total cost less than £2.

Thanks. Think I'll go down Paintmans route. What does the Diode actually do?

Total cost less than £2.

Stops the buzzer from coming on due to electricity back-feeding through the interior light bulb, buzzer, and headlight bulb. For the extra 1p a diode costs I'd stick one in.