Routing wire to dash

I am routing a clean power supply from my battery box to the dash so that when my cutoff switch is off I can still get power to the radio, internal LED lights and my little flashing light pretend alarm. So far I have got the wire nicely tucked away from the box as far as the top of the fuse box.

Anyone have any ideas of the best way for the next step?

I am faced with the black slanting out base of the dash panel to try and work through or round. Did wonder about surface mounting and stapling in but it would look a bit clumsy. Also wondered about drilling upwards from by the fuse box but do not think my drill bit is long enough.

I am sure I am not the first with the problem and hope someone can offer a nice solution.

Thanks and best wishes

Malcy

Hi this is abit of a rubish job to do and have had to do it myself a few times Ive put 2 x wires for extra speakers and a small loom for my IBS split charge unit,

All i did was take off the panel which houses the rear wash wipe and ciggie lighter then after taking a wire coat hanger to bits I carefully fed the hanger down till it poked out by the fuse box then tapped the wire to it and a boot lace, then next time I need to feed a wire there just tape it to the lace and hay presto its very tight but seems to work

hope it helps

You can feed the wire up behind the dash above the fuse box, just follow where the other wires go. They come out under the little cover that goes over the back of the ciggy lighter/rear wash wipe switch. Might have to take out the bit of plastic the covers the 'shelf'. I don't think I'm describing this very well :rolleyes: Hope you can follow.

Posting same time as Rob

Guest diesel_jim

The way i've run my wires is to follow the "factory" routes....

so, from the battery box, follow the main power cable towards the starter motor, but route it up the engine side of the bulkhead, following other cables, you can then route it to the back of the dash where the 3 rubber grommets are. the speedo cable goes through here, as does another big loom, so you can poke it through there and it comes out behind the speedo.

Behind the lower section of the dash or via the engine bay is best and far neater than surface wiring (there is no need for surface wiring practically anywhere in a LR as there is always a better & neater route). There is also no need to drill as there are plenty of existing cable-holes.

When you run new cables make sure you protect them (sleeving or corrugated conduit is the stuff to use) and make sure any holes you go through are protected with gromits, believe me you don't want an electrical fire on your hands especially on a circuit that bypasses the cut-off switch! It goes without saying that this circuit is going to be fused and not connected directly onto the perminant +VE supply without some kind of overload and/or short circuit protection?

Ah. I did have a look there but it looked impossible. I will try having another go - perhaps try it as the first job when I am still fresh.

Thanks for the suggestions

Best wishes

Malcy

You want to use a piece of stiff wire so that you can push and wiggle it down through the hole until it pops out above the fuse box then tape then end of the wire you want to take up to the end of your stiff wire and carefully pull them up back through the hole. It's a bit fiddly but not too hard. :D

Thanks guys

Yes I was planning to use a fuse (5A should be adequate for the small load) just after the take off from the always live terminal on the cutoff. So far I have wrapped wires in insulating tape to make a sort of loom where it runs in the corner of the floor and gearbox housing under my heavy matting. I did fit a grommet where it goes through the battery box but I think I will double check and may supplement with some silicone.

Will let you know how I get on

Best wishes

Malcy