what happens when the chassis is changed?

hi , can anyone tell me what happens to the identity of a landrover when the chassis is changed over.

i own a hybrid that i put a private number on , it went on without any problems , but now that i have tried to change it over to my range rover i have had a letter from the dvla asking to me to bring it to my local vosa for them to inspect it .

the chassis on the hybrid isnt a landrover chassis but one made of box section steel

any help would be great

thanks fraser

If you have a private plate, your hybrid doesn't have a Q plate (because you can't stick a private plate on a Q plater), you could be letting yourself in for a bit of pain here - I'd take a step back and read the manual (and the posts on here) before going for it (if you decide to).

If you have a private plate, your hybrid doesn't have a Q plate (because you can't stick a private plate on a Q plater), you could be letting yourself in for a bit of pain here - I'd take a step back and read the manual (and the posts on here) before going for it (if you decide to).

This most likley at best will be "Fun"

Couple of things

• On the chassis is there a chassis number (and in what form) that MATCHES the number on the V5 ?
  • Does the engine number match too ?
  • Do you have a VIN PLate as well, and does this also match ?
  • Is the LR "Tax Exempt" ie pre 1973 ?

You may with luck dependant on what it looks like be 2Very Lucky" but if they do not like what they see you can lose the plate that is on their now, and have the Hybrid forced to go down the legal route which is huge pain

Post up the info above - If you can post up some pics - particularly the chasiss

If any of the answers above is No, (except the last one which needs to be no :) ) then you've 100% had it if you persue the transfer IMHO

Nige

hi , just had crunchie to see the inspector

the chassis that is on it was a new one so apparently it takes the identity of the one that was on it when new

the chassis itself is a pukka bit of work made by a well known chassis builder north of the border

the engine and vin plate mached up too and its not a tax exempt vehicle

the dvla like to have a look at the ocasional car when private reg's are changed over , mines probably because i sorned it during the changeover

a friend of a friend also had to take his car for an inspection due to a reg swap

aparently if you wait between 3 to 6 months of sorning it , it is a straight swap over , so ive been told

if i get a chance i will post up some pictures of the chassis

thank for all the replies

fraser