Urgent Advise Needed for a TD5 Disco

mpb

My mates got a 2000 Series 2 Disco fitted with a TD5 engine. Last night he got in it & it sounded like it was missing, when he started it up. There was a vibration at tickover & through the rev range. Early in the day it had been running fine.

Am I right thinking its a blocked injector, would a dose of Redex Diesel help or is it going to be a set or recon injectors.

How can I tell which one is blocked?

Do I need to change all five or just the faulty one?

What would suddenly cause it to go?

He needs it back up & running to tow a large trailer for work tomorrow.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

Most likely cause is the injector wiring harness, a fraction of the price of a new injector and a darned sight easier to change! Renew that first - you only need a new harness and a socket set to take the rocker cover off its a half hour job. It's the "oil in the harness" problem that causes it, not really sure what the problem is some sort of breakdown in the wiring/insulation I think. Usually gets worse as the engine gets hotter if it follows normal practice.

Might not be that but 95% of these symptoms are the injector harness.

forgot to say if that doesn't cure it and it IS an injector you can tell which one by plugging it into a Testbook and checking the cylinder balancing, the dud one will be way off the scale. you need a testbook anyway to program the new injector grade in or it won't run right. injector solenoids do go and occasionally the springs break but far more likely to be the harness breaking down as above

Most likely cause is the injector wiring harness, a fraction of the price of a new injector and a darned sight easier to change!

Might not be that but 95% of these symptoms are the injector harness.

Thankyou :) ,

Ive been up & unplugged the injector loom, there was oil present in the connector, so we've cleaned up the connectors & its running a lot better. We'll get a new loom & replace it asap.

Thankyou ever-so much for the advice given :) .

14 minutes from me posting to fault been diagnosed is quicker than most garages :) .

Guest diesel_jim
14 minutes from me posting to fault been diagnosed is quicker than most garages :) .

Especially when you consider where in the world that diagnosis came from!!

You're welcome :)

I forgot to say that to do a thorough job you need to get a can of aerosol switch cleaner and hose out the connectors at both the engine end and the ECU end, best bet is to do that again in a couple of weeks to remove as much residue as possible. Very occasionally you need to renew the whole harness but 99% of the time a good clean up does the job. New main harness is about £500 and a PITA to change so not to be done unless absolutely necessary!