suspension problem

pux

Hi guy's was out and about on the plains today and noticed a knocking from the front so i presumed it to be a bush on the track rod etc etc but upon further investigation :o i have found that both sides on the suspensin mounts lower where the shock is held that they can move freely and it looks as though both bush's are worn :huh: so i replaced them with some poly jobbies i had lying around and foun that this has made no diffrence.

So is there a spacer or something missing :huh: the set up on there are rough country +5 and i think +2 spacers as these where fitted before i took the vehicle on, here is a picture of the problem if anyone can shed some light it would muchos appreciated :D by the way its the gap thats in the circle thats the problem i think, also i have tried to tighten them all up but they are as tight as they can go!!!!

bush012-1.jpg

Hi guy's was out and about on the plains today and noticed a knocking from the front so i presumed it to be a bush on the track rod etc etc but upon further investigation :o i have found that both sides on the suspensin mounts lower where the shock is held that they can move freely and it looks as though both bush's are worn :huh: so i replaced them with some poly jobbies i had lying around and foun that this has made no diffrence.

So is there a spacer or something missing :huh: the set up on there are rough country +5 and i think +2 spacers as these where fitted before i took the vehicle on, here is a picture of the problem if anyone can shed some light it would muchos appreciated :D by the way its the gap thats in the circle thats the problem i think, also i have tried to tighten them all up but they are as tight as they can go!!!!

bush012-1.jpg

I/ve sat here a while thinking about this and have come up with the following....

Couple of assumptions: The spring seta must have a big whole through the middle as must the alloy spacer to allow the shock to pass through....

I am not keen on this setup as the shock will be very close to hitting the spacer when at an angle ( articulation ) rather than just passing through it straight.

Now normally the shock mount sort of fouls on the spring seat which takes up some of the length of the stud. You will have lost this extra thickness because you have a big hole in the seat so if you were to replace this thickness onto the shock stud ( by using a couple of 14mm hole washers ) it would allow you the extra turns on the nut to get the play out of the bushes.....

David

cheers David i think the best route is to get some decent washers and stick them in there and then trail it for a bit :o as im not that keen on those spacers either :huh: apart from that very impressed with the rough country shocks :D

I had a similar problem recently on my RHF shock. I noticed during driving that the shock seemed to have gone soft, and was making a dull clunking noise when bounced. Further investigation revealed that the pressed washer that sits between the shock body and the rubber bush down the bottom had collapsed and popped over the "knobby bit" and was now sitting against the bottom of the shock tube itself. This gave the whole assembly about 3/8 inch of free-play. Haven't had a chance to fix it properly yet, so I just grabbed a large nut of about that thickness and drilled the centre out to about 14mm (to clear the shank of the shock stud) and put that under the lower retaining nut. Pulled up the slack and makes everything work again, but a bit dodgy. :unsure: I just knew I should have kept the washers etc from the last set of shocks... :angry:

Now I need to work out how that level of loading got into the shock to cause that damage. Std shock lengths, 2" lift coils. Nothing way-out there... :huh: