Winch Questions

Roverdrive

A couple of questions for all of you with winch equiped vehicles.

What capacity winch would be best for a RRC?

Do I really need a 12,000 lb one, or would a 9,000 be sufficient?

I am asking after having a blonde moment straddling the ruts left by a Timberjack, and having to be recovered by winch when I fell in t'ole!

The time has come to look in to fitting my own winch, and I want to get as much info as possible before parting with the beer tokens.

It will not be used on every outing, as there are always a couple of vehicles equiped with winches, but I don't want an ornament stuck on the front.

The other question is regarding the attachment. Would this allow the retention of the steering guard, or would a hybrid mount be required with a guard built in?

Thanks in advance for your replies

I have posted here in order to get the views of the Defender fraternity rather than just Range Rover.

9,000lbs is about right. Avoid GEW/AEW stuff or 'Branded' with stoopid names.

A nice 'lowline' would work well but you will need to either buy or fabricate a mount. About the cheapest VFM mount around that is any good is the Padia jobbie for Disco's. It fits well but will need a icckle bit of grinding on the lower wings and a nice trim on the front grill.

T-max 9500 Outback and Superwinch EP9/EPi9, COme Up DV9000/DV90001 are about the best qwalitee winches around. If you really have to go WARN then the M8000 is more than up to the job as is the more manly XD9000.

If you can blag a cheap 8274 I have an ex Camel Trophy RRC mount for one that is alos the front bash guard - yours for not a great deal if I can get it back of TJ101

Orange's Truck has a Superwinch EP9 mounted on a Southdown Bumper (aquired secondhand) and has a discoparts steering guard as well. The winch happily drags the lardy Rangie about without complaining. :)

If you have an auto, with an oil cooler, you will need to move the cooler up to get the winch to sit back nicely.

Cheers

Mark

Fridge Freezer

I'd like the full half hour arguement please, and then I'll go next door for 15 minutes of verbal abuse.

Honiton Hobbit

Are you recommending NOT to use Warn or am I reading that wrong? Is it that they are expensiveso you were steering me away from them?

They are about the only brand I have heard of.

I will certainly consider your offer of the mount. Will it only take an 8274, or could it easily be adapted to another brand?

FAbrication isn't a problem as long as I know where I am picking up the strong points. I guess that using the 4 bumper mounts and the rear chassis mount for the steering gueard would do?

Mark

ha ha ha ha ha!

I see enough capstans in the day job TVM.

Suppose it would have the advantage of being behind the grille?

Joking aside I won't rule it out, but don't have a lot of storage space for rope in the back of the vehicle as it is. What size string would be needed if we go along with the premice that I am looking at a 9,000 lb pull?

Cheers for the ideas so far.

It was a partly tongue in cheek suggestion. I think it sticks out the front quite a bit. Don't know what rope would be suitable. I just know my mate has one in his shed from a RRC he broke a while ago and it will be going to Sodbury.

Warn have a very good marketing set up, they are the biggest players in the market. They are overpriced; Warn ar not trend setters in innovation, in fact some of thier products are antiquated; they have build quality issues compared to other makes - issues one would expect from cheap Chinese cr*p not cheap Chinese cr*p assembled in the Good Ol' USofA

OK I had read it right!

What do reakon to Britpart 12,000lb winches?

Have been offered one for £400 brand new.

Needs a kit and bumper for fitting to the RRC

Don't want something like a snowplough on the front, so might need to fabricate something myself utilising a new mid section to the standard bumper.

OK I had read it right!

What do reakon to Britpart 12,000lb winches?

Have been offered one for £400 brand new.

Needs a kit and bumper for fitting to the RRC

Don't want something like a snowplough on the front, so might need to fabricate something myself utilising a new mid section to the standard bumper.

Britpart 12k Slow but okay. Spend the wad on an EP9 from Dave Bowyer at Sodbury, you will get change then and a far better winch

9,000lbs is about right. Avoid GEW/AEW stuff or 'Branded' with stoopid names.

A nice 'lowline' would work well but you will need to either buy or fabricate a mount. About the cheapest VFM mount around that is any good is the Padia jobbie for Disco's. It fits well but will need a icckle bit of grinding on the lower wings and a nice trim on the front grill.

T-max 9500 Outback and Superwinch EP9/EPi9, COme Up DV9000/DV90001 are about the best qwalitee winches around. If you really have to go WARN then the M8000 is more than up to the job as is the more manly XD9000.

If you can blag a cheap 8274 I have an ex Camel Trophy RRC mount for one that is alos the front bash guard - yours for not a great deal if I can get it back of TJ101

Land Rover fitted a Warn 8000 to my Nas when they let SV loose on it before my ownership, it was horrible, I was for ever cleaning the silly little plastic bits inside the drum they call a brake!

Go for a good quality but maybe secondhand, Old Sod sortout this Saturday, plenty of bargains? :D

HH

Thanks for that. Would rather chew a mount out of 8mm plate with my teeth than go to Scrapiron.

Will have a look at the EP9.

Might get the BP one for less. Checking with the supplier, as he hasn't steered me wrong on parts before, and his back up is second to none, however if the EP9 is a better winch for not much more money, then I would go that way.

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.

HH

Thanks for that. Would rather chew a mount out of 8mm plate with my teeth than go to Scrapiron.

Will have a look at the EP9.

Might get the BP one for less. Checking with the supplier, as he hasn't steered me wrong on parts before, and his back up is second to none, however if the EP9 is a better winch for not much more money, then I would go that way.

Thanks for all the info guys. Much appreciated.

If you get a SH winch I am more than happy to service it - only cost to you is parts if I need them.

He he he

Thanks for the offer of the "personal service" or not??

I will have a good look around when I am home to see the size of various mounts etc to see what would be the best for the intended use, as I want to keep it quite discrete if possible. I have seen a 90 with a new centre section let in to an original bumper that is very neat and does not impact on the approach angle at all, so I think I will spend the time to try and achieve something similar with the Range Rover, and then see what space is available were I to go down this route. It may not be practical. I can't do any measuring just now, as I am bobbing about off Brazil!

I suppose you could call it a vapour winch installation.