TD5 Fuel Filter Warning Light

AJL

Recently done a 50K service out here in Romania with my 110 TD5 and as part of this service I changed the fuel filter (The can type in the offside rear wheel arch) Now I dont know if it is related but a few days after changing the filter there is an orange warning light on the dash. As I dont have my handbook here i havnt a clue what this means. Does this mean that there is excessive water in the Diesel? I've unplugged the sensor and the light goes out on the dash. When I put the sensor back the light comes on again.

I believe the problem to be water related on Friday as usual i filled up from a site plant diesel tank (here theres no such thing as red and white its all white) This tank was emptier than normal and i could have got some water in the fuel. On the bottom of the fuel filter where the sensor connects there seems to be a valve is this to drain water out?

So my question is what does this warning light mean? Whats caused it? Is it likely to be water in fuel related?

Many thanks James

As you are missing the handbook, as a double check, the water in fuel warning light is the last but one in the lower strip (the last being a choke warning light which will be blank in your installation). The water in fuel light is underneath the ABS warning light.

The text in the book says:

"Fuel filter - AMBER*

Illuminates as a bulb check when the starter switch is turned to position ‘II’ and extinguishes after 3 seconds approximately. If the light illuminates while driving, this indicates the presence of excessive amounts of water in the fuel. You may continue driving but should seek qualified assistance at the earliest convenient

time.".

I'd unscrew the drain on the bottom of the filter and empty the contents. When switching on to restart, pause a few seconds between switching on and triggering the starter, to give time for the filter to refill.

The filters can 'fill' with water to the extent the water will reach the engine, causing a misfire.

You really don't want water passing through your injectors, any injectors, but especially TD5 ones.

In the handbook, under Owner Maintenance, Fuel System, Fuel Filter (TD5) it says "To drain:

Slacken off the drain plug (arrowed in the lower illustration) to allow any water to drain off.

Retighten the plug as soon as pure diesel is emitted.".

It's up to you if you capture the contents in a clear container, to see if it separates after standing, or whether you just run to waste, counting 1 to 10, then retighten.

Cheers.

OK Guys thanks it is the Amber light

Last night i did screw the drain on the bottom of the filter and drained about 1 pint of liquid. It was dark and I was onsite didnt have a suitable recepticle so I couldnt see it settle out. However the light remained on. I've since filled up from a filling station and today driven about 60 miles without loss of power or miss fire. I'll drain some more out again and see if the light goes out.

Chris I fill up usually from a 20 CUbic meter silo with a cone on the bottom normally i fill up using the pipeexiting halfway down the silo but as the silo was almost empty i filled up from the valve on the silo drain my own stupidity really as water will definately collect there! Didnt give it much thought till I had the light issue

Thanks for the replys

James

I would sooner suspect the sensor is knackered - we have changed lots of them at work. A bit like the 300Tdi oil pressure light, the Td5 water in fuel light is primarily used as an indicator that the sensor attached to it is broken :)

Drain the filter again and see what comes out, but if there is no sign of any water I shouldn't worry about it because they always go wrong...

I would sooner suspect the sensor is knackered - we have changed lots of them at work. A bit like the 300Tdi oil pressure light, the Td5 water in fuel light is primarily used as an indicator that the sensor attached to it is broken :)

Drain the filter again and see what comes out, but if there is no sign of any water I shouldn't worry about it because they always go wrong...

Cheers Steve

Very common fault, most likely to be the switch.

In fact on the last of the Td5's landrover stopped fitting this unit.

Usually the fault occours if it's being raining :rolleyes: and water gets in the plug.

My advice, do not fit another, leave the plug in the bottom of the filter.

And change your filters every service (12000 miles).

If you worry about water in the fuel (rare, even abroad) then just undo the drain fitted to the filter and drain some fuel/ water out at your leaisure, just as you would a TDI.

One other thing we do,We carefully seal the harness plug to stop water incress in to the loom.

Jim :)

If you want to do away with it you can fit a Tdi filter to the Td5 filter head and have a much more useful drain bung in the bottom. The filters are the same size and thread.

Thanks for the Tip i'll do that next time

• 2 years later...

The dash light came on in mine - I took the filter drain off to look, no water drained out, but 1 of the wires had corroded off.

I put it back on and the light went out ... when I checked the 2nd wire had now broken off.

When I replaced the filter the next time I just left the plastic blank in the bottom.