Droparm D1 on Def ?

henk

I've got the Disco one on my 1991 Defender, not sure if the drop arm is an easy swap as I just put a Discovery PAS box on. Got the steering bars and damper mount from QT as I wanted strengthened ones anyway. No problems with track rod ends so far!

A pic if it helps...

IMG_3469a.jpg

You can see the damper bracket but there's no damper there at the moment as the extended bracket on the chassis end snapped off!

Only drawback I suppose is that the TRE is more exposed than the ball joint normally is.

Richard

I've got the Disco one on my 1991 Defender, not sure if the drop arm is an easy swap as I just put a Discovery PAS box on. Got the steering bars and damper mount from QT as I wanted strengthened ones anyway. No problems with track rod ends so far!

A pic if it helps...

IMG_3469a.jpg

You can see the damper bracket but there's no damper there at the moment as the extended bracket on the chassis end snapped off!

Only drawback I suppose is that the TRE is more exposed than the ball joint normally is.

Richard

I have a DD4 bumper so the TRE is pretty good protected I hope.

Anyone out there who has a drop arm of a D1 for sale and eventually goes to Old Sod?

Henk

I did mine 2 years ago using the bolt on bracket. Never liked the defender drop arm balljoint. 2 years ago on the way to Aberdeen to catch a ferry to Iceland one of our convoy reported steering had gone ropey and he was all over road. I didn't need to be told this over the CB as I was behind him. As we were nearly at Aberdeen we carried on. At the ferry terminal we had a look, the circlip had dropped out at the bottom then the round plate had gone resulting in A LOT of play in the steering. Only days earlier he had had it replaced by a mechanic just to be on the safe side as it had a little play in it. We didn't have time to get a replacement before we sailed so the plan was to get a replacement on the shetlands which we did but I think it was over £30. The first thing I did when I got back was get a disco drop arm £10 local breakers. I am sure the steering is now better than its ever been and the ball joint is easy to replace and the same as one of the track rod.

Gaza

.... Got the steering bars and damper mount from QT as I wanted strengthened ones anyway.

Thanks Richard.

Can you remember which model steering bar you got from QT? I assume it's not the standard Defender one as the swan neck on the original drag link looks like it adds a few extra inches of length before the ball joint.

Colin

I haven't got any photos but it looks like a Disco setup but with Defender bodywork above it... I used the same solid drag link as the Defender setup used and I have a lot of thread showing. I've balanced it end to end and there's twice the thread diameter length inside the thread (not counting the locknut) so I'm confident that it's safe. One day(!) I'll buy a Disco arm.

Thanks Richard.

Can you remember which model steering bar you got from QT? I assume it's not the standard Defender one as the swan neck on the original drag link looks like it adds a few extra inches of length before the ball joint.

Colin

If I remember correctly you need the one off a disco and a clamp aswell as the drop arm and a balljoint. Like me you will probably wonder why you didn't do it ages ago.

Gaza