Defender headlight wiring

DSN

Hi there.

Just doing a few jobs on the motor ready for MOT. Had noticed when going on full beam, I got no full beam on the DS headlight but fine on PS. Faulty bulb I thought.

Anyway took it out and elements all fine. Tested with bit of wire on the terminals and both elements light so not bulb issue.

Have tried to clean the connections and tried again but still same issue. PS works fine. DS has normal beam, when flash, main beam stays on, no full beam. If go to permanent full beam, then DS headlight turns off.

I know flashing keeps both elements on and locked full beam turns main off so it seems I have no power to the full beam circuit on DS.

As it got dark and now I am at work again, it will be a little while before have another look so thought I would see if you guys had any suggestions/circuit info.

Anyone know where the circuit for PS/DS splits? Are there separate fusing?

FYI, veh is 1987 90. Has tdi now but lighting circuit/fuses etc unchanged from original.

Cheers in advance for any suggestions.

Hi DSN , I read your post on Friday evening,just minutes after coming indoors after having discovered that when i flash main beam only the ps works and if i push the stalk forward then the ds headlamp goes out! I can`t get near it untill the weekend so was obviously wondering if you had solved the problem yet? I do understand it may be a different cause but the symptoms are identical, 1984 90.

Cheers

John

Dan, have you tried looking at the wiring connections on the DS by the bulkhead? i expect the suspect wire has come loose.

Is there 12v at the end of the wire bulb end?

next idea dont fix the fault just bypass it and run a feed wire from the other (PS) main beam circuit......

Have tried to clean the connections and tried again but still same issue. PS works fine. DS has normal beam, when flash, main beam stays on, no full beam. If go to permanent full beam, then DS headlight turns off.

I know flashing keeps both elements on and locked full beam turns main off so it seems I have no power to the full beam circuit on DS.

Hi,

Not sure what you refer to as normal beam, main beam and full beam! I normally call it high and low beam.

FWIR both high beam and low beam have seperate fuses. Could even be left and right as well.

What year is your LR? My 110 is an older model with the tubular fuses. They corrode very easily causing a dry joint, thereby no current flow. Wiggling the fuses normally cures mine! Are your fuses ok?

I believe that the high beam is white on blue with low beam being red on blue. Parks seem to differ by model as some are in parellel (red outer) or split left and right.

Personally i would check the fuse box first to see if you are getting any supply to them first. Then you can possibly check that there is continuity between the output of the fuseholder to your bulb holder. This is much easier than rooting out all the wiring.

I always try to use relays when wiring the headlights, your switches last longer and you can really spruce up on the cable giving a better light. (Some LR come with small guage cabling).

Also i have fitted Wipac Crystal halogen headlight convesion from Paddocks. They are incredible! Not sure if legal where you come from though. Oh and i had to modify it to fit my headlight cage.

Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.