Odd 6 wheeler on ebay

muddy

Hi

This vehicle is designed for 6 wheel drive Utilising a splitter box with 3 transmission autputs as well as a PTO. This box is stripped due to a colapsed bearing but is included. both rear diff casings are inclined allowing the rear axle drive to be taken over the top of the middle axle

The info I got back.

Paul

I think you mean Scammell Explorer?

Constructor's are Prime Movers that don't go off road.

I don't know if this is the same one but some years ago when the Scammell boys were wowing the crowds at the first Europa Truck Trial and the AWDC Heavy Trials, a Japanese guy was measuring up the Explorer's as he wanted to make a L-R based copy. If you look at a Landy without a front body then the cab and footwells are similar in concept. :rolleyes:

The constructors were built as heavy hauliers for use both on road and off-road. They did not have the same ability as the previous explorer and pioneer but were still very good. The pioneer and explorer used walking beams at the back and as such only had one diff and one 'axle'.

Looks a very interesting machine and a lot of work put in. With a bit of space, money etc.... I would have been very tempted! :D

HTH

Ed

Constructor was available in two main formats. First was for road haulage - pickfords, wynns etc........ Then there were also off-road versions. Quite a few used by the army and raf as heavy equipment transporters. Some were used as artic units and some as ballast backed. Off road ability was reasonably good although not in the same league as the earlier explorer. The road ones were very similar and there is a famous photo of one of the road ones on test by commercial motor (IIRC) with one of the front wheels about 2 ft up a bank with the other 5 firmly on the ground. All constructors were 6x6. One other one to add is that there was an off-road heavy recovery based on the super constructor, not sure if it went into production or if it was a one-off.

The front axle looks like an explorer style one but the back is completely different. If viewed from above the rear layout of an explorer looks like an H with the wheels at the ends of the two vertical lines and parrallel with them. If anyone can follow that!!! :D

HTH

Ed

I came across an old Scammell Extractor in a farmyard near me a few months ago , they are a 6x6 civvy truck I think . It looked early '60's . If anyone is interested could go back with a camera and take some pic's. I had a drive of an Explorer offroad hillclimbing and bumps a few years ago - awesome machine.

Cheers

Steveb

An Explorer with difflocks (alas not available)would be a formidable machine in any company. AFAIK later Constructors did not have the centrally pivoted leaf spring front suspension, but had a pivoting beam with coil springs and dampers between the beam and the axle. There was a 6x4 Junior Constructor also for heavy haulage on made roads. I think MissingSid is confusing Constructor with 6x4 Contractor which was the super heavy haulage model for mainly road work, although they were also available in 6x6 format on special order. The Landy looks interesting but ugly as a hat full of a#sholes. even by my standards.

Bill.

An Explorer with difflocks (alas not available)would be a formidable machine in any company. AFAIK later Constructors did not have the centrally pivoted leaf spring front suspension, but had a pivoting beam with coil springs and dampers between the beam and the axle. There was a 6x4 Junior Constructor also for heavy haulage on made roads. I think MissingSid is confusing Constructor with 6x4 Contractor which was the super heavy haulage model for mainly road work, although they were also available in 6x6 format on special order. The Landy looks interesting but ugly as a hat full of a#sholes. even by my standards.

Bill.

Bill

I would agree as there are far more versions than knew of.

Little bit of knowledge and all that. :D

Steve B,

If you have drivan an explorer then you have my admiration.

I have had the pleasure of a passenger seat at the Europa Truck Trial debut. B)

Yeah Missingsid , it was definately one of those " I can't believe I'm doing this" moments , still with me 18 years on . My mate whose truck it is now has 6 explorers and some other nice toys incl GMC 6x6's and a couple of thornycroft Antars.

Bill - a difflocked Pioneer now that would take some stopping :lol: .....I did have some rather bad thoughts about agri tyres on it when we were playing , bargrips are still bargrips no matter how big they are B)

cheers

Steveb

Has he tried the tracks over tyres trick? Only ever seen it done a couple of times and it was very impressive! And an awful lot of work to fit them!! For the best party trick the 6x6 pioneer could climb up walls!

Ed

• 2 months later...
I think you mean Scammell Explorer?

Constructor's are Prime Movers that don't go off road.

I don't know if this is the same one but some years ago when the Scammell boys were wowing the crowds at the first Europa Truck Trial and the AWDC Heavy Trials, a Japanese guy was measuring up the Explorer's as he wanted to make a L-R based copy. If you look at a Landy without a front body then the cab and footwells are similar in concept. :rolleyes:

This is me except that I am not Japanese, I am Chinese!

Thanks, Muddy, for the PM. I have emailed the guy that bought it, Will see if he gets in touch.

The sad thing is the engine and gear box have been removed as has the winch, one of the best Warn 8000's at the time as I rebuilt it myself. The truck was good for towing around 50-60 ton (gently) and, with the 3 speed transfer box I designed and built, it was flat out at 1.2 MPH at 4000rpm in bottom first.

It was meant to emulate an Explorer but I was still designing the rear walking beam suspension when I had to sell it. The rear supension I ran it on is similar to the Constructor where the axles are mounted rigidly on to A frames in the same way as the front axle. The axles were also widened to take a long Sailsbury half shaft on both sides. The steering was by an Audi Powered rack under the drivers door on to a drag link to the off side front wheel which eleiminated bump steer at all but the most extreme axle articulations.

The cab was also made wider at the back then the front so it was tapered in the same way as an Explorer.

When I last parked it up, in a field in Norfolk, I had 2 ton of spares and scrap steel in the back and it climbed over a 5ft bank of hard core at 40 degrees and waved its front wheels in the air before landing on the other side.

It would be nice to have it back on the road. It would be nice to have it back.

This is me except that I am not Japanese, I am Chinese!

Thanks, Muddy, for the PM. I have emailed the guy that bought it, Will see if he gets in touch.

The sad thing is the engine and gear box have been removed as has the winch, one of the best Warn 8000's at the time as I rebuilt it myself. I was good for towing around 50-60 ton (gently) and, with the 3 speed transfer box I designed and built, it was flat out at 1.2 MPH at 4000rpm in bottom first.

It was meant to emulate an Explorer but I was still designing the rear walking beam suspension when I had to sell it. The rear supension I ran it on is similar to the Constructor where the axles are mounted rigidly on to A frames in the same way as the front axle. The axles were also widened to take a long Sailsbury half shaft on both sides. The steering was by an Audi Powered rack under the drivers door on to a drag link to the off side front wheel which eleiminated bump steer at all but the most extreme axle articulations.

The cab was also made wider at the back then the front so it was tapered in the same way as an Explorer.

When I last parked it up, in a field in Norfolk, I had 2 ton of spares and scrap steel in the back and it climbed over a 5ft bank of hard core at 40 degrees and waved its front wheels in the air before landing on the other side.

It would be nice to have it back on the road. It would be nice to have it back.

The guy who bought the vehicle was at the (think it is called) Cardiff Gate services around Jnc 28 on the M4. He had a beaten-up Toyota Hi-Lux (about the same state as the Top Gear Hi-Lux) with a monster home built trailer, in not much better condition. He was filling-up with diesel as we were on our way home from a 7 Sisters trip early November. Spoke to him at the cash desk and he was taking it home to Wales, he wasn't quite sure why he bought it but he had a huge grin on his face when I suggested he had some work to do before he could get an MoT :D

He should get in touch with me then. I could rebuld it with my eyes shut, and get it through an MOT if I still had the engine and gear box. He will have fun figuring out the transfer box as if it is in bits as the ad suggested then there are no manuals, it is all in my head. It is all made out of lightly modified Landy parts though and operated with twin levers.

I hope he isn't going to break it up. It was my baby!

I want my truck back! [folds arms, stomps feet, sulks!] :P

He should get in touch with me then. I could rebuld it with my eyes shut, and get it through an MOT if I still had the engine and gear box. He will have fun figuring out the transfer box as if it is in bits as the ad suggested then there are no manuals, it is all in my head. It is all made out of lightly modified Landy parts though and operated with twin levers.

I hope he isn't going to break it up. It was my baby!

I want my truck back! [folds arms, stomps feet, sulks!] :P

Very interesting vehicle. You obviously put a great deal of thought, blood,sweat and tears into that project . I feel that you and I may have been separated at birth. I know exactly how you feel about wanting your baby back. I want my baby back too as I have fonder memories and a stronger attachement to her than anything I have built since. Here she is when in her prime. http://users.bigpond.net.au/hybridlr/bill6...ill6x6part1.wmv

bill.

That's a nice little 6x6 there Bill. I wish I had video of mine but moving pictures were still an expensive pipe dream then. Maybe we do have the same madness! ;)

Here's the inside of the transfer box in the 6x6 during assembly. Four shafts, input via a prop flange, three outputs and a pto.

Tbox01.jpg

I really like six wheelers a lot. I've even been thinking of doing this to my Skoda for extra load space to save dragging a trailer about.

Skoda6x203.jpg

If I don't get mine back, or if it is in such as state as to not be worth it then I am very tempted to build another with all the modern stuff that is around now. In those days I had to make everything as nothing was available.

That's a nice little 6x6 there Bill. I wish I had video of mine but moving pictures were still an expensive pipe dream then. Maybe we do have the same madness! ;)

Here's the inside of the transfer box in the 6x6 during assembly. Four shafts, input via a prop flange, three outputs and a pto.

Tbox01.jpg

I really like six wheelers a lot. I've even been thinking of doing this to my Skoda for extra load space to save dragging a trailer about.

Skoda6x203.jpg

If I don't get mine back, or if it is in such as state as to not be worth it then I am very tempted to build another with all the modern stuff that is around now. In those days I had to make everything as nothing was available.

That video was shot on the then latest steam powered Cine camera at a time when the LandRover aftermarket hadn,t been thought of.The rear axle power dividers, difflocks, heavy duty halfshafts etc were all home built and mostly from modified LandRover parts also.

I like 6 wheelers a lot also and have been trying to resist the temptation to have a go at something like this

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=20633 I have studied the video and stills numerous times to try to ascertain what type of transmission layout was used, and conclude that drive from the main gearbox went directly to the rigidly mounted unsprung middle axle, and chaindrive assemblies took the drive from there to the front and rear wheels. I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Bill.

Here's some more 6x6 p*rn for you Bill & Night train......air susp.,rear steer, centre axle lift, GMC 6.5 turbo, it's being stored at mine awaiting Ashcroft shafts/cv's and ARB's. Owned and built by a mate Dave. There is a couple of vid's of it on youtube...search for' troy the truck'......bit of a monster machine but the principles all work :P

cheers

Steveb

post-1339-1199611529_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1199611566_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1199611599_thumb.jpg

post-1339-1199611637_thumb.jpg

I think you're not far wrong on the transmission on that thing, Bill, but with the short wheelbase it would need to be skid steer I think, couldn't see the video of it as I don't have flash installed. Can't imagine it would have much speed due to chain tension and whip.

I like the Scammell walking beam system myself:

walkingbeam2.gif

It is gear driven with a 2:1 reduction in the gear case to allow for drive torque balance. Its down sides are huge unsprung weight and no brake balance. Under braking, load is transfered forwards to the leading wheel. However, it does lend itself well to being a halftrack.

Steve, nice RR there. What is it using to drive the rear axle and any chance of it being six wheel steer?

I think you're not far wrong on the transmission on that thing, Bill, but with the short wheelbase it would need to be skid steer I think, couldn't see the video of it as I don't have flash installed. Can't imagine it would have much speed due to chain tension and whip.

I like the Scammell walking beam system myself:

walkingbeam2.gif

It is gear driven with a 2:1 reduction in the gear case to allow for drive torque balance. Its down sides are huge unsprung weight and no brake balance. Under braking, load is transfered forwards to the leading wheel. However, it does lend itself well to being a halftrack.

Steve, nice RR there. What is it using to drive the rear axle and any chance of it being six wheel steer?

I didn't think I had flash on my computer either but it played ok. It's a shme you can't see it as the footage of it scrambling over a 4 to 5ft vertical wall is very impressive.It has conventional knuckle steering on the front and skidsteer on middle axle. An extremely tight turning radius is acheived by hydraulically lifting bothfront and rear axles and skidsteering the middle wheels.

I had always wanted a Scammel Explorer since I was a little boy, but they never made it over here, and I have since read from private owners that windup between the centre and rear wheels tends to eat the gears inside the walking beams.I would have thought however that the unsprung weight shouldn't have been higher than the combined weight of 2 rear axle/differentials plus control rods of a conventional tandem drive rear bogie on atruck of equal capacity.

Steve,I am also interested in the driveline details of the Rangey, although I believe to gain maximum cross country performance benefits from a multi axled layout, the wheelbases and overhangs should be kept as short as practicable, although I acknowledge that not all 6x6 conversions are built with this aim in mind.

Bill.

The drive is santana mainbox , Rocky Mountain overdrive on a LT230, front drive out to front axle in the normal fashion, rear output goes via a short prop to the rear flange of another LT230 converted to 2wd/4wd allowing the old 'front' flange to selectably drive the 2nd axle. The lt230 is a 1:1 driveratio allowing the old gearbox mainshaft entry to become the output for the rear (3rd) axle. A bearing and seal carrier holds the shaft and prop flange taking a prop to a carrier fixed to the 2nd axle case , with the final prop from the carrier to a front axle mounted using the rear A frame and front radius arms with a single bolt/bush -the other bush and end of the arm being chopped off.

The rear steer is a 12v gear and nut ram ( from a rubbish compactor I think) so with a potentiometer on the steering box drop arm and a trick box of electronics , a limit switch on low range on the main transfer box it automatically follow steers in low range and with a switch in the cab will crabsteer or steer independently using a joystick.

It's by no means a compact vehicle at 26' overall length :o but is very steerable offroad and with a bit of work on the susp. arms - Johnny Joints would be my choice - the best could be got out of the air bag system too. The ride hieght is all air controlled and is off a HGV artic trailer so no air ECU woohoo :lol:

As a final thought Dave was only 24 when he designed this...or should that be filled his head with props and gearboxs...I think he has Widescreen imagination :lol::lol:

- Bill my computer wouldn't play your video either ...is there any way you could get it on youtube? maybe one of the mods could sort it out? Would like to see it as it sounds well sorted...would expect nothing less really :)

Night train , your old 6x6 looked great very evocative of the Scammell - the one I had a drive in is now part of a collection of 8 of them, always been my favourite heavy offroader B)

cheers

Steveb