Buying a hybrid

badgerbaiter

I've been offered what appears to be a hybrid ( 1969 series 88" body and reg / v5 on a shortened r.rover chassis)

It needs an MOT, failed on headlight aim and perished tyres, but i am wondering if i'm going to risk getting into bother with old bill / vosa if someone gets eagle-eyed about the non-original chassis. anyone got any advice? :(

• 1 month later...

So you will be useing it to avoid paying road tax? Sounds like a cert for SVA testing to me. Of course, that is only if you want to remain legal. Chances are you will only get found out if you have a proper crash or get pulled into a roadside checkpoint. The V5 belonging to the S2 and the chassis belonging to a different car, is that what they call a "ringer" on the TV cop shows?

Chris

As it's been on the road already, and mot'd,i'd give it a go.

Where is the "can of worms" picture??

There is a shed load of valuable information on this forum if you search for it.

My understanding: Basically, I think the MOT won't fail you because you have a shortened Rangie chassis as it is not something he checks. However, if you are ever involved in an accident or indeed, stopped for a roadside check, the upshot is that the vehicle is not legal (unless it has been SVA'd) therefore your insurance firm will run a mile etc etc.

The only way to legitimately keep a historic vehicle status (Road Tax free), is either to repair the original chassis but keeping its original shape and function or replace with a brand new one of the same spec (keep the receipt).

Chris types quicker than me!! :)

A Hybrid will not fail a MOT as long as it's condition meets the requirements....this does not check thats it complies with construction and use regulations. this falls down to VOSA and the SVA etc.

Condensed version, look in tech forum under SVA for said can of worms :rolleyes:

Your buying a car that was built a long time ago if the tyres are perishing if its been like it for 5-10 years and its a cheap toy why not your not doing anything wrong at worst you will lose the plate and be issued with a Q if you realy unlucky they will make you pay tax from when you bought it.

That's whats happend to two mates of mine

:lol: Easy way of getting a Q plate without going through the SVA :ph34r:

Your buying a car that was built a long time ago if the tyres are perishing if its been like it for 5-10 years and its a cheap toy why not your not doing anything wrong at worst you will lose the plate and be issued with a Q if you realy unlucky they will make you pay tax from when you bought it.

That's whats happend to two mates of mine

:lol: Easy way of getting a Q plate without going through the SVA :ph34r:

Unless of course you crash into someone, and need to claim on insurance via an assessor who comes to look for any excuse not to pay up.

or injure someone and the vehicle gets impounded and checked over.

So, I'd modify Jules' statement somewhat to "if you are really unlucky, they will send you to jail"... Maybe worst case scenario, but realistic.

If you drive a vehicle on the road that requires an SVA , but has not undertaken tte test, then it is deemed by default to be a dangerous vehicle. The courts have no option other than confiscation and to order destruction of the vehicle.............and then you get a hefty fine ............that is all fact and can be proven by previous case histories......... ;)

IMHO ............ All those guys that are running traybacks with shortened chassis's on the road under the guise of the original registration documents are playing into the hands of the C&U regs ................... if you have prang, no matter how small............... then be prepared to loose your motor.............I guess it will all depend upon the knowledge of the attending police officer .................. and believe me ........... some are very knowledgeable on this subject............. a few years ago this would not have been an issue, but the blinged, driven like you stole it, chav-mobile has 'highlighted' the knowledge base ................... and the law has to be seen as waving an even hand.............

I guess the only time a custodial sentence may come into play, is if you cause death by using the vehicle .................. but then I am not sure what the charge would be......................

My 2p worth.......

:)

Ian

<tiptoes past worms>

This is a tricky one, the law being the ass it is in this country there are so many loopholes and interpretations, plus gaps between things like MOT & SVA you could park a highly modified double-decker bus in.

If it was built before a certain time (pre-SVA) then it didn't need one and should probably have a Q plate. The age related plate is obviously just there for tax purposes and IMHO is more likely to spark the interest of the man from the DVLA/VOSA than if it was on a later plate.

If you stick to the letter of the law almost no-one on the scene has a 100% legal truck - even if you SVA'd it there are things that get done to pass an SVA and then put back to "normal" again afterwards. The kit car boys do it all the time.

This will really come down to what the vehicle is like, how well it's built, and how far you feel like pushing your luck (and being tax-free you're already registering half way up the DVLA cheeky-o-meter).

If the thing's a death trap then SVA or not the insurance will kick off if you prang it / kill someone.

Unless of course you crash into someone, and need to claim on insurance via an assessor who comes to look for any excuse not to pay up.

or injure someone and the vehicle gets impounded and checked over.

So, I'd modify Jules' statement somewhat to "if you are really unlucky, they will send you to jail"... Maybe worst case scenario, but realistic.

Some people are just so touchy :lol:

The police re-registered both Land Rover at the Pompey DVLA workshops I struggle to see how an insurance company could get out of that. I've have sat in on a coroners inquest and again I struggle to see even how a SVA could help you if its been poorly built but looks the part and ticks all the boxes it can still get though a SVA. The case I was attending was being presented to me as a family member from a RTA involving a 40t lorry and the full investigation as to why it crossed four lanes of traffic on its roof

You could always do like me stay away from cut and shuts as there a mare to fix someone else's bodges..

Apart from the SVA issues covered above...

If it has a range rover chassis it is definately NOT a tax exempt S2.

If you are caught by a policeman in a bad mood who knows what he is looking at you can get prosecuted for:

Unregestered Vehicle

No Tax

No MOT

As all the documents you have refer to a S2 which doesn't exist and you are sat in a range rover (or custom/ Q plate) car :o .

This could involve a lot of fines and points if they decide to throw the book at you. Also the vehicle could be impounded until it identity and ownership can be established.

Remember you could be involved with the police because some other idiot rams into you not through any thing you have done.

This actually did happen to a friend of mine a few years back who admitedly was driving a ringer <_< .

His car blew its engine but had 11 months MOT so he aquired an identical car, same age colour and model but no MOT and changed the plates thinking no one would notice.

He was pulled and they checked his chassis number, the result was a 12 month ban and a fine.

He had a few words with his neighboor about who informed the police and told them to check the chassis number afterwards!! :angry: .

Come on lets face it...........its all to do with money!

• Series 2 body + RRC chassis + Registered as a Series 2 = No tax

• Series 2 body + RRC chassis + Registered as a RRC = Tax payable

If its Registered as a RRC then I don't think DVLA/VOSA would care as long as you pay the Tax.

Mine will be a V12 RRC, still on RRC Chassis, Steering & Suspention......yet Registered as the RRC so I have to pay the 5.3L V12 tax rate.....If its the price I have to pay to be legal........ then so be it!

Apart from the SVA issues covered above...

If it has a range rover chassis it is definately NOT a tax exempt S2.

If you are caught by a policeman in a bad mood who knows what he is looking at you can get prosecuted for:

Unregestered Vehicle

No Tax

No MOT

As all the documents you have refer to a S2 which doesn't exist and you are sat in a range rover (or custom/ Q plate) car :o .

This could involve a lot of fines and points if they decide to throw the book at you. Also the vehicle could be impounded until it identity and ownership can be established.

Remember you could be involved with the police because some other idiot rams into you not through any thing you have done.

This actually did happen to a friend of mine a few years back who admitedly was driving a ringer <_< .

His car blew its engine but had 11 months MOT so he aquired an identical car, same age colour and model but no MOT and changed the plates thinking no one would notice.

He was pulled and they checked his chassis number, the result was a 12 month ban and a fine.

He had a few words with his neighboor about who informed the police and told them to check the chassis number afterwards!! :angry: .

You mate was very very very very unlucky that or they had been looking for things to nick him for.

My mates Hybrid (own by my Brother for three years and we found it in a field were it had been for at lease five years) had the original VOD hybrid built by Rapid Rovers in the 80's he was doing some digging and found the chassis number and the log book didn't match, so phone the DVLA and asked about a old RR he found in a field with out plats but did have a chassis number and whether it was stole etc. it all checked out as not having been taxed for over 10yrs so they gave him the reg and he filled out some forms at the post office and applied for the ownership of the reg for his chassis, which like the reg on the truck was also Tax exempt RRC.

after a month a policeman knocked on the door asking to see said truck. he explain the story and showed him the hybrid (I must explain I still to this day have not come across a better built/tidier 100" hybrid) he was happy but explained the log book holder has told the police he was still the owner of the Range Rover. "That's what you call a tin of worms" so my mate was told either way he would lose Tax exempt status and be issued with a Q plate once the Pompy DVLA had a quick look but not a SVA as the truck had been on the road for years so didn't need it. The other owner still had both original axles and the engine and box, but he still lost the reg docs.

No Prison, No ban just a Q plate which turns out to be a result as he can now fit his Cherokee chief axles and his blowered 440 big block and box and he is within his Q status still and doing nothing wrong.

The other mate had his impounded on the side of the road, it was issued with a Q and he was told he was luck not to be charged back road tax on it (he built it) (he can be gobby at times so I would imagine they didn't take it with out a fight from him) all over the space of about two weeks

opppsss....1998 intoduced

Then........

modified.......

The key word here is “unmodified”. Up until January 2001, this word was missing and this lead to some pretty dramatic modifications escaping SVA. In an effort to reduce the number of vehicles slipping through the net, the DVLA altered the wording in its “INF 26” document to say, “original, unmodified chassis or unaltered monocoque bodyshell”. Click Here to see both sides of the DVLA’s INF 26 leaflet entitled “Guidelines for the registration of rebuilt or radically altered vehicles and kitcars”.

Just to help with the worms!!!!

Have no issue with anything Les et al have said on SVA, have been there with a Kitcar..... BUT....

My 'uncut' chassis 100" Hybrid was inspected by the DVLA in Pompey, when i requested that it be registered correctly, and they deemed it not to require SVA! This was in May this year!

Its not black and white.......... but if its a cut n shut 90, 88, 80, etc then it will be an issue to the licencing authorities!!

And it retained its private reg, but it was a single donor 3.9 RRC, of 1990 vintage.

Bodywork was modified to fit, not the chassis to the body.

Just my worms to the can.

No Prison, No ban just a Q plate

Bizarre then that Paul, Rich and Mike's vehicles have all kept their original registration plates as RR/discos despite having altered bodywork, after taking them to the DVLA. Wonder what was so different about the VOD or perhaps just that copper was an arse?

Bizarre then that Paul, Rich and Mike's vehicles have all kept their original registration plates as RR/discos despite having altered bodywork, after taking them to the DVLA. Wonder what was so different about the VOD or perhaps just that copper was an arse?

Mikes tomcat was built from one Disco so he kept that Disco's reg and he provided the parts invoices showing the parts from Tomcat were new also helping to keep his original reg.

The DVLA registered his car as a Land Rover Tomcat

the trucks I spoke about used major components like Axles, engines and boxes from several different Land Rovers.

I don't know the other two

I've had this from both sides. My IIA is sitting on a once brand new glavanised coilsprung frame with secondhand 110 or 90 axles. It was a body swap, so the engine gearbox, body and steering were unchanged. The company that did it (many years ago now) said that as it was brand new it didn't need any change in status or registration. I've since changed the engine and gearbox, and even the steering, but with new or recon parts.

When I decided to build a Ginetta roadster (expensive mistake) I was told that the donar engine was the only part to carry a registration number. It used recon steering and gearbox, and then I imported a brand new engine, which therefore made it a brand new car (the 20th one in existence).

To be honest, there is no way I would do a body swap or fresh build again these days... too much paper work!