Buying a hybrid

badgerbaiter

Agreed B)

And as VOSA made no note of what mods i'd done to my hybrid at SVA, i can change things in the future if i want :ph34r:

What about fitting say an all metal winch bumper / bull bars / tube wings (as they are to all intensive purposes bull bars) to a car that got an SVA today? Surely there would be problems with the recent legislation as the registration date of the vehicle is after the date the legislation came into force? Does the legistaion still effect commercial vehicles?

Looking at the SVA requirements they don't look terrible for a commercial vehicle and there shouldn't be too many hoops you have to jump through to pass.

Its an interesting point about the vehicles that have passed VICs as they all have had some modifcations to the chassis that you'd expect to require an SVA. Is this just down to lack of knowlege on the part of VOSA?

Ok, so it's a way around the Construction and Use regulations then. So long as your insurance company goes along with it. Don't think of these things here, if you told the insurance about modifications they would wonder why you are calling them and refer you to a garage. And the police wouldn't notice even if you had wooden wheels on a Ferrari.

If your not insured because you havent got an sva,

why does'nt an insurance company ask for an sva certificate

when you insure a modified mota ?

theres probably thousands of motas out there un-insured

due to not being sva'd

i.e hybrids bobtails traybacks

because it's your responsibilty to tell them of any mods and your responsibility to make sure your vehicle is roadworthy and legal. It's not insrueres responsibility to make sure you are acting legally.

Having seen how easy it is to have an accident where insurance gets invovled or the police come knockin (SiR's truck, GBMUD's knock in france, Landranger in Gloucester) it just doesn't seem worth it to take the risk, when all it requires is an SVA fee and a bit of care in building the truck!

If your not insured because you havent got an sva, why does'nt an insurance company ask for an sva certificate

Maybe because they realise that they would loose business as folk would just go to another insurer or.... (The only way to provide an even playing field would be for the regulator to make it a compulsory requirement of all service providers).

Maybe because they know that they can get the business but probably have a good "get out" clause if you try to claim in an accident. <_<

I was chatting to a local taxi driver who's private car was shunter while it was parked. The first thing the assessor looked at was the state of the tyres. He told the fella that if there had been an illegal one, he'd have just walked off... even though the car was statioary (parked) when it got hit.

Maybe because they realise that they would loose business as folk would just go to another insurer or.... (The only way to provide an even playing field would be for the regulator to make it a compulsory requirement of all service providers).

Maybe because they know that they can get the business but probably have a good "get out" clause if you try to claim in an accident. <_<

I was chatting to a local taxi driver who's private car was shunter while it was parked. The first thing the assessor looked at was the state of the tyres. He told the fella that if there had been an illegal one, he'd have just walked off... even though the car was statioary (parked) when it got hit.

The important thing to rember is any insureance company will get out of a claim any way they can. So if your car is not 100% legal they will not pay out :)

Love to see how may trucks with portals would do in a claim , and how many have told their insureance company :):)

theres probably thousands of motas out there un-insured

due to not being sva'd

i.e hybrids bobtails traybacks

because it's your responsibility to be legal NOT their responsibility to ensure you're legal. Slightly unrelated but it used to be possible to get a car insured without a driving licence BUT the terms stated you had to be licenced to drive it.

Maybe because they know that they can get the business but probably have a good "get out" clause if you try to claim in an accident.

Spot on - they'll take your money and know they have a get out in case of a bump

If you're building something I don't see the problem with presenting it to the DVLA and getting them to decide if you need SVA - if you're lucky you get the "why are you bothering us, have a VIC" otherwise it's SVA either way at least then the vehicle is legal. Surely having spent all that money/time building the thing it's the sensible thing to do. Personally I'd be dubious about buying a hybrid/bobtail that wasn't properly registered so would have thought it would make it easier to sell in the future should you want to- why take the risk on a wrongly registered vehicle?

4x4 is Born:

Was it built pre SVA?

In the 'good ol days' pre July 1999 when SVA was introduced, it just needed a MOT and a change on the V5.

Regarding the SVA cert( trying to remember with the kitcar over 8yrs ago) i think it is handed to the DVLA when the vehicle is registered. The SVA is a test to ensure that the vehicle is built 'safely' an in accordance with the stated criteria on its first registration in the UK. First registration being a newly imported 'grey import' or a radically altered vehicle being refered to SVA by the good people at the DVLA. The DVLA require the certificate befor ethey will issue a 'new' V5.

not sure when it was built, thought it was only 4 ish years ago

how would you proove when a hybrid was built, I've had mine approx 5yrs and the owner

before me had it for about the same sort of time

so if it was built b4 99 would mine b ok ?

how would you proove when a hybrid was built, I've had mine approx 5yrs and the owner

before me had it for about the same sort of time

so if it was built b4 99 would mine b ok ?

not sure if the DVLA/VOSA care about the build date, if ,for example, the V5 says Range Rover and it looks like a defender then if they pick it up they'll be looking closely at it.....