Rims - Valve protection

nas90

My spare set of Mach V's are being cleaned and blasted prior to a new paint job.

Since me and Diesel Dave had issues with ripped-off valves at the Belgium National any ideas for welded valve protectors?

Paul uses steel tube welded over the hole in the rim for the valve on Black Piggie, others I have seen use steel rod formed into a 'U' shape, any ideas / pictures / preferences / don't do this way?

Dave

Got pretty much all options covered already I reckon. Personally I like the tube idea as it gives all round protection. Also might be worth considering tubeless valves from a Quad/ATV, they will fit a std size rim hole but are much shorter so whatever you use to protect them can be made smaller and much less likely to get tangled up in the first place!

I tried a steel tube, but if you run inner tubes (like I do), it becomes very hard to inflate the wheel from 0, since you cant grab hold of the valve to inflate it.

I now run the 'u' shaped loops, they work mint.

Daan

My spare set of Mach V's are being cleaned and blasted prior to a new paint job.

Since me and Diesel Dave had issues with ripped-off valves at the Belgium National any ideas for welded valve protectors?

Paul uses steel tube welded over the hole in the rim for the valve on Black Piggie, others I have seen use steel rod formed into a 'U' shape, any ideas / pictures / preferences / don't do this way?

Dave

Got pretty much all options covered already I reckon. Personally I like the tube idea as it gives all round protection. Also might be worth considering tubeless valves from a Quad/ATV, they will fit a std size rim hole but are much shorter so whatever you use to protect them can be made smaller and much less likely to get tangled up in the first place!

Thanks Steve, thats a good idea.

25mm Tube , Just enough height so you can remove the dust cap , I did mine when I first got the Mach 5 rims and have never lost a tyre due to valve damage .

Ø25 bore or O/D? 1.5mm to 2mm wall sufficient?

nas90

On the Alloys on my Golf, I used Flush fit valves - This left the valve completely flush to the rim. You then had a special tube that fitted in when you removed the cap. Not sure if they do them to fit steel wheels, but they would certainly avoid the valve getting ripped out: flush fit valves on eBlag

flushvalves1.jpg

just a thought

Mark

He is our local friendly(ish) laser cutter.... :P

Duh, I know :)

Oh, BTW <hushed voice> we cut very accurately, burning is for the oxy acetylene boys <end of hushed voice> :lol:

Sorry ;)

doesnt always work :(

The car in your picture - was the tyre failure directly related to the valves being ripped out? I only suggested the rings because on the few vehicles I have seen with weld on beadlocks the valve was protected well by the two large rings of steel between it and the rocks/tree's etc

On my wheels the valve is so well protected that its a PITFA to get to with the inflater

Judging by the fact the CTIS lines had been ripped out of their armour on 3 out of 4 wheels and were flailing about the place - its not unusual, Ive seen it happen to other cars, but in this specific case I was kinda busy doing other stuff to ask specifics :lol:

get a log/branch big thing wedged in the wheel bell and spin up your tyres - with enough perseverance you can make anything break.

Personally i wouldnt be so keen on the flush fit valves for alloys, the thread on them is quite fine and they are not made of the bestest materials. we had at least one set returned to us from my old wheel trading days where the thread had stripped. out in combat i think you may have issues with keeping the threads clean enough for them to work properly. They are a pain in the ass when new never mind post event!

my last set of rims had tube but wide neough to get pointy pliers in, maybe carry a valve puller ala tyre fitters use?

just my tuppence tak it or leave it

Thanks Daan, simple and effective, even better using the shorter ATV valves

Keep em' coming!

Dave

I wouldn't bother with tubeless if you want my opinion; judging from the fact you need valve protectors, you do take offroading seriously. That in my mind automaticaly means either innertubes or beadlocks.

I am very much in favour of inner tubes, it allows you to air down to around 10-12 psi which is ample in most situations. It also allows you to bend your rims like buggery and still keep air in the tyres.

Daan

I ran with tubes for a while and although it stopped me pushing tyre's off rims I then had trouble with tyre's turning on rims (at 10-15psi) and ripping the valves off that way. Also means you have to remove them and clean them regularly otherwise dirt between tyre and tube rubs them through. I then installed bead locks with the tube's and it made the stripping to clean a PITA and if I aired them down less that 10 PSI (depending what tyre's your running) you risk pinching the tube. So Ive gone tubeless with beadlocks and IMHO its the way to go. I carry a string type repair kit incase of puncture which is very quick and effective and is another advantage of tubeless.