Rims - Valve protection

nas90

I ran with tubes for a while and although it stopped me pushing tyre's off rims I then had trouble with tyre's turning on rims (at 10-15psi) and ripping the valves off that way. Also means you have to remove them and clean them regularly otherwise dirt between tyre and tube rubs them through. I then installed bead locks with the tube's and it made the stripping to clean a PITA and if I aired them down less that 10 PSI (depending what tyre's your running) you risk pinching the tube. So Ive gone tubeless with beadlocks and IMHO its the way to go. I carry a string type repair kit incase of puncture which is very quick and effective and is another advantage of tubeless.

I also tried tubes to try and stop me popping tyres off rims and really didn't get on with them - I also found I span tubes and still ended up getting mud forced behind the bead which rubbed through the tube. The later may have been due to the fact my tyres had come off their rims several times so didn't form such a good seal.

I ran tubes for as long as I had a landy. The wheel spinning in the tube is an issue under about 12 psi, so thats pretty much your limit. For simex tyres, this works well in most situations. Mud between tyre and wheel does happen, but not allarmingly so in my case. I fit tyres without soap to reduce problems mentioned. short of having beadlocks, tubes are still loads better than tubeless imho. Ever tried to seat a tubeless tyre in the field? I have never managed it myself.

Daan

Ever tried to seat a tubeless tyre in the field? I have never managed it myself.

Daan

Funnily enough we had a tubeless tyre come right off both beads last weekend on an event. Luckily we had a small but powerfull compressor and Steve had the idea of wrapping the winch rope around the tyre and pulling it tight. It worked fine. Just as well as it happened later on the other side :o

I ran tubes for as long as I had a landy. The wheel spinning in the tube is an issue under about 12 psi, so thats pretty much your limit. For simex tyres, this works well in most situations. Mud between tyre and wheel does happen, but not allarmingly so in my case. I fit tyres without soap to reduce problems mentioned. short of having beadlocks, tubes are still loads better than tubeless imho. Ever tried to seat a tubeless tyre in the field? I have never managed it myself.

Daan

We had 4 separate rims lose their tyres on the Belgium National. 7ins Matt Lee's with 235/85 Fedimas. My 200 bar diving bottle with 10 bar regulator, no core in the valve and boompf back on the bead. 2 of them needed a ratchet strap didn't bother taking the wheel off the vehicle :D

Funnily enough we had a tubeless tyre come right off both beads last weekend on an event. . Just as well as it happened later on the other side :o
We had 4 separate rims lose their tyres on the Belgium National.

Fair enough if you can solve it, but the reason I am running tubes is to stop it happening. But each to its own I suppose.

Daan

Daan

I purchased the T max double pump compressor after using one to reseat a tyre very easily at a recent event.

we were using the winch to lift the weight off the wheel(lifted the front off a close by tree) then used a strop with a piece of wood to compress the

tyre around its tread, tyre popped straight back on.

my own T Max has since been used to reseat the beads easily afte getting mud /wood in between the bead.

I never removed the valve core as the compressor seems easily up to the job.

But I have lost a valve core which ended up in ruining the tyre/rim.

was going to switch to inner tubes but never managed to get any locally.

P1010199.jpg

Ever tried to seat a tubeless tyre in the field? I have never managed it myself.

Daan

I carry a can of easy start , A few squirts in the cavity then light through the spray and they pop on more or less straight away , but you need to pump in air as soon as , cause as the air in the tyre cools it sucks the tyre back off the bead .

Not the safest way I know , but if you practice enough it comes easy .

I stopped using tubes ages ago they are a right PITA , they twist and rip out valves , and if you pick up a puncture they are flat within seconds , at least with tubeless , the object causing the puncture may stay in the hole slowing down the air loss , Or as steve says , sticky strings for a quick repair .

I'll get some Jez

my prob was the car was tipping over inte the vegetation at the time with minutes to spare before the end of the event

so we tried to get out, spinning the rim in a flat tyre soon had it off the rim,

the next time a similar incident happened all progress stopped until the tyre was sorted.

I am yet to lower the pressures on the simex offroad again,as the first time I did it got knocked off the bead straight away.

beadlocks would seem the way to go.

I'll get some Jez

my prob was the car was tipping over inte the vegetation at the time with minutes to spare before the end of the event

so we tried to get out, spinning the rim in a flat tyre soon had it off the rim,

the next time a similar incident happened all progress stopped until the tyre was sorted.

I am yet to lower the pressures on the simex offroad again,as the first time I did it got knocked off the bead straight away.

beadlocks would seem the way to go.

Tony, I found that normally every time it happend to me it occured after mud got behind the bead allowing the pressure to drop at which point the tyre would pop off the bead.