Petrol Gauge

Hi,

I have a problem with my 1988 90 csw. The petrol gauge doesn't report the petrol level below the 1/4 mark.

As the petrol level goes below a half I notice the petrol warning light comes on when I brake hard or go up steep hills.

As the gauge goes towardss the 1/4 mark I notice the car starts to splutter when pulling away and begins the have trouble with what sounds like mistiming when going along.

I've just gone and filled it up till I can see the petrol down the filler pipe and the petrol gauge reads full so I know it goes up.

Can anyone offer any advice as to why it would not report the real petrol level further down.

Also, stating the hopefully obvious, the car stops spluttering when some petrol is back in and is going through the system again but thats about a mile after putting petrol back in.

Many thanks

Steve

My 1984 90 does this too! So i am also interested to know...

Works fine until halfway, then over the next division the needle hardly moves at all. Usually run out with 1/4 left on the gauge, not even in red. My warning light does not illuminate though.

What i do is use the trip counter, i know that a full tank gives me about 215miles ish. (works out at around 19mpg i think)

I also keep a can of fuel in the back but try to fill up before i get to running on vapour, easier said than done as it gets there so quick :(

My 1984 90 does this too! So i am also interested to know...

Works fine until halfway, then over the next division the needle hardly moves at all. Usually run out with 1/4 left on the gauge, not even in red. My warning light does not illuminate though.

What i do is use the trip counter, i know that a full tank gives me about 215miles ish. (works out at around 19mpg i think)

I also keep a can of fuel in the back but try to fill up before i get to running on vapour, easier said than done as it gets there so quick :(

My warning light only flicks on when I go up a hill or cause the vehicle to jolt forward but other than that mine doesn't stay on.

So it sounds like the same problem.

Might see if I can get into the top and see if anythings int he way of the float

My gauge was exactly the same. Last time I ran out of petrol I put a gallon in and then took the float out of the tank and bent the arm (it's just like coat hanger wire) so that with a gallon in the needle was at the top of the red. Trouble was when I brimmed the tank with petrol level about 6" below the top of the filler inlet the tank now only read 3/4 full.

I think the arm were shortened that might do the trick, but if you take too much off then you're stuffed.

If you do take the float gauge out you will see that the float can be clipped to the hinged quadrant in two different positions, only one is suitable for the 10 gallon tank under the drivers seat. I think the gauge might have a number of applications where the other position would suit a deeper tank.

When I first got my 90 the needle never went below the half way mark, it turned out that the float was jamming on the side of the tank, to remove the float just take the drivers seat base out followed by the seatbox cover, the float is held in with a small locking ring just give it a tap with a screwdriver and the whole float cab lifted out.

Thanks for the info.

I've filled it up now so I'm going to run it down a bit over the weekend.

I can have a look then.

Any idea what aprt numbers I require for the seal and lock nut?

Found them on Famouse four now so not a problem.

Might pop up dingo's as they're down the road.

Steve