130 Rapier

66gaza

I have driven my dads Rapier before (empty) several times and it was fine, yesterday I drove it with a demountable camper in the bed and to me the steering was real twitchy, like I was moving the steering wheel slightly from side to side to keep it in a straight line, not in a big way but with the demountable on the back it rocked a bit from side to side and I found it abit unnerving and straight away thought there was something wrong with the steering. The more I drove it the less noticeable it seemed. My dad said he doesn't notice it at all, but the same thing happened when someone else drove it briefly so its not just me. Steering checked fine, it had only been MOT'd a week before anyway. I think the steering was/is light when the weight of the demountable is on the back as he tells me the front end lifts about an inch or so when its on. It has Lovells HD springs on all round. Is there anything that can be done or is it something I have overlooked, bearing in mind it appears fine without the demountable. Does anyone else have similar problems when heavily loaded? (1.5t) approx.

Gaza

Is the weight of the camper within the rear axle limit of the vehicle?

Might be worth getting on a weigh bridge to check.

Don't forget a lot of the weight will be high up as well.

I drove a "Survive" 109 many years ago, and nearly rolled it at the first roundabout.

Is the weight of the camper within the rear axle limit of the vehicle?

Might be worth getting on a weigh bridge to check.

Don't forget a lot of the weight will be high up as well.

I drove a "Survive" 109 many years ago, and nearly rolled it at the first roundabout.

Hi, he has had it on a weigh bridge and the weight is just within limits of rear axle. I appreciate the weight is high but would have thought it would be OK in a straight line, rolls too much for my liking on corners though. I think the problem is ALL the extra weight is on the rear axle only. I drive a 6 wheel landrover camper so weight high up is normal for me, saying that mine goes round corners like its on rails.

Gaza

It sounds like roll steer to me – like you ask for an amount of steering, the vehicle rolls slightly and this puts a little bit more steering input in as the vehicle rolls – this makes the vehicle roll more…

My Ninety does the same - it's something you get used to, although you could look at the panhard bushes etc too?

It sounds like roll steer to me – like you ask for an amount of steering, the vehicle rolls slightly and this puts a little bit more steering input in as the vehicle rolls – this makes the vehicle roll more…

My Ninety does the same - it's something you get used to, although you could look at the panhard bushes etc too?

Roll steer , never heard of that term before but it does describe exactly what is happening. My dad certainly has got used to it and doesn't appear to be there when he drives. He has recently had 1 of the panhard bushes changed, why only 1 I don't know I would have changed the pair. I drove it after the bush had been changed though.

Gaza

Imagine if the steering drop arm was <thinks> below the panhard rod. As the vehicle corners to the right, it rolls and the steering joint moves further to the right as it pivots around the chassis end of the panhard rod – this pulls the steering further. If you get it really far below (and I don’t know if this is possible) then a tiny input would eventually make the vehicle roll over. For less critical setups, I think you just get used to it.

Thinking aloud, I suspect the LR setup is slightly prone to this (ball joint is slightly below panhard axis) and this will show up any other deficiencies. Might be worth checking that the drop arm is tight on the shaft, the ball joints are tidy, all the bushes look good as you shake the steering etc? I admit I’ve learned to live with mine.