35\12.50x15 BFG

Defender

Hi does anyone have a picture they can post of a defender wearing some 35\12.50x15 BFG Muds?

Thinking of an upgrade & I'd like to know how much I will have to cut out of the arches.

I was also looking at the Maxxis creepy crawlers but no one seems to have any comment on what they are like in the mud...does anyone know please?!?!?!!?

Thanks

:P

BFG muds are massively under rated, if you are looking for a tyre that has the best of worlds you will be hard pushed to beat it.

I have not yet used the Creepy crawlers, however i will be gob smacked if they wear anything like as well the BFG's.

Have not got any pics of 35's on a standard truck, but i have got some pics of them on Stefans Trayback (The vehicle with 5 on the side) When these pics were taken he was running BFG muds at 30psi and i was using Simex at 10psi, on the rocks there was no comparsion, the Muds drove circles round the aggressive Simex.

http://www.devon4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3509

Hope that helps a little

Jim :)

Guest diesel_jim

My project90 on 35's.....

post-130-1192604700_thumb.jpg

post-130-1192604768_thumb.jpg

Had to trim the arches a little bit, but not as much as when i put the simex's on (although they do have masively offset rims)

I'd offer that they can be too wide, having seen a 90 shod with them fail to drive on a slippery slope that nearly every other car with BFG M/Ts drove(I have an old VHS vide of it somewhere, not sure how to get in on here) but with slimmer tyres, I suggest 255/85/16 are hard to beat on a defender.

Guest diesel_jim

^^^^^^ what he said.

my 90 was "ok" on 35's, but nothing great, i remember getting hoplessly stuck in a bit of slippery mud, and with both lockers in i was like a spider in a bath! (OK, they were at road pressures) but t he 35 was a bit too wide for the "light" weight of a 90.

running 255's now, and they have just enough narrowness to dig in and grip.

another vote for 255/85x16s here. I have been very happy with the grippyness of them on my 110 in all conditions.

I did come very close to getting embarassly stuck the day before yesterday, but then I had ventured a lot further than I should have when the front prop was leaning against the wall in our hallway ;)

Will :)

I guess it depends on the sort of terrain you'll be spending most time on..

If it's a layer of slimy mush or slippery wet grass with firm ground / clay not far underneath then narrower aggressive tread tyres would be best to dig down into the firm.

It's the grounds boggy and bottomless with a floating layer on top you don't want to break the crust so wide tyres aired down with a milder tread will pad over the top (lower ground pressure).

On rocks & stumps, it helps if the tyre can deform to the shape of the rock, the carcass of the tyre needs to be flexible when aired down (though this tends to make for a weaker sidewall)

I've used 35x12.5x15 MT's on my 90 for the last couple of years, find they do well in most conditions except firm wet grassy slopes.

Just my 2p.

I basically have been running 265/75 R16 all terrains on the road & swapping to 285/75 R16 Grizzly Claws for off road but I'm getting fed up with swapping tyres about so much. My idea was to run the BFG muds at 30psi on road & drop them to 10psi (Using bead locks) for off road use, hopefully giving me a compromise between on road & off road with one type of tyre.

I need to sell my existing tyres before I can try the above so if anyone is interested in a set of alloys with all terrains or Grizzly Claws on silver modulars, check out my auctions on Ebay.

:D

Pete