making spring spacers out of alloy bar

BogMonster

Toying with the idea of ordering a lump of thick alloy rod from somewhere to cut into slices of various thicknesses for alloy spring spacers both for myself and for sale at work... we've got a big power hacksaw thing which would do the job.

Does anybody have an idea of roughly how much it would cost for, say, a 1 metre long length of alloy of about the right diameter for making spring spacers out of - 105mm diameter or thereabouts. Gwyn Lewis told me when I enquired a while ago that he had stopped making the alloy spacers because the raw material was so expensive but I'm not sure what sort of figure we are talking about.

Anybody have a rough idea? Google was not very helpful...

Ta :)

Guest diesel_jim

I've had them made out of alloy and steel in the past, but i've juyst gone into the local stockholder and said "could you slice off a couple of pieces this thick please", so not really bought it in "bulk".

Cheers Tonk that is what I wanted to know :)

Not cheap but if you can sell a few of them that isn't too bad really ... depending on the thickness but assuming a mix of sizes, you could get ~10 pairs of spacers out of a 1mtr bar. Must go and measure a 110 spring seat and see if the same size bar will do the back of a 110 too...

Why bother with alloy?

Not really worth the bling and don't say you're trying to save weight!!

You can't really use the corrosion angle either as the rest of the suspension is steel!!

Remember you will have to bore a hole in the front ones for the shock.

Why bother with alloy?

Not really worth the bling and don't say you're trying to save weight!!

You can't really use the corrosion angle either as the rest of the suspension is steel!!

Remember you will have to bore a hole in the front ones for the shock.

Aww spoilsport, SO many people bought the "saves weight" excuse for fitting alloy wheels :lol::ph34r:

Why not? It seems like a neat solution and is a lot easier to cut than a bit of 4 inch steel bar...