Rear disclocation cones

Ryan

Since removing the anti-roll bars on my 300tdi Discovery on the advice of a forumeer/SLRC member, I have gained a little more axle articulation than I had before. :) As such, even the gentle bumps and twisters at Bunny Lane caused me to disclocate the rear springs twice in one day at this month's play day, necessitating the careful application of a high lift jack and a shovel to relocate said cones. :unsure: I'm on standard height (though heavy duty) suspension. I'm not sure how far they disclocated, but it was enough that the spring got caught on the outside of the spring mount. I only found out after I'd got through whatever caused it, rather than stopping at the time to have a look-see.

This has brought me to the conclusion that I am in need of some kind of clever spring relocation device. Having checked the forum for previous discussions, I found some threads a couple of years old that came to the conclusion that they could not come to a conclusion which type was best. <_<

Has the thinking changed? I'm not too bothered about which is easiest to fit, 'cos I'm probably going to have to remove the springs either way. Most places seem to sell the pointy-downy ones and are about £30 ish for a pair (does it matter if they are the tube-type or the made-out-of-flat-metal-type?). The only place I've seen the sticky-uppy ones is on the Gwyn Lewis website but there is no price listed.

So far I've had two verbal votes for each type, which doesn't really help! :rolleyes: I would like to make a decision before I get to Sodbury so I can go looking for bargains...

Neither ;) get some X-springs from X-eng (Simonr) much neater solution.

Pete.

I'd better go and rob a bank then :lol:

As much as I would like to have some X-Springs, my budget won't stretch that far!! Unless, perhaps Simon would like to see how they perform on a bog-standard Discovery. I'm happy to do some testing :D

The devon top mounted ones come very close to the floor of te car on a disco. Mine are actually touching I think.

As I understand it, both ways work, so if you are on a budget and see a bargain, then get them...

Bog Standard Discovery? If you're running standard springs there's an even simpler solution that'll cost you 30p rather than £30. Use jubilee clips to secure the top coil to the top spring mount. Job done.

Kev

Are they strong enough for that? Do you fit them tight or lose enough to allow a little movement but not enough for the spring to come all the way out of the mount?

If you want a bit of bling, use stainless clips! :)

Bling? :o It's 13 years old, has a dent in the roof (I didn't put it there!), dents on the rear quarter from a tree (err, yes I did put that there!) and is scratched to b***ery. I don't think bling will be an issue... :lol:

If I go the jubliee clip route, how many do I use? Two on each (one towards the front and one towards the back)? With the limited space between mounting and bodywork, will the screw bit fit on top, or does it have to go under the spring?

Yup; Lord High Priest Of the 100" LR.

As it so happens I have a set of his rumbunctious LRS's in the garage that need returning to His Lordship, if you required them and he agreed I could drop them up to Sodders

Mmmmm, tempting. Depends on the renumeration required.

Regarding jubilee clips, When I changed spings on the back of the Disco I was too lazy to change the disclocation cones over at same time so fixed the springs in with 2 jubilees per side. Out laning one day and did some technical stuff before driving off up a grassy slope. Didn't feel quite right and on looking found one spring completely gone! Spent next 10 minutes searching for it (it had rolled into the bracken!). So anyway, just a word of caution, use 3 clips and make sure they are proper 'Jubilee' and not Screwfix-budget ones :D :D

Been using 1 clip per spring for a number of years trialling now with no problem.

My springs are +2" and uprated to cope with the extra weight on the back from the gas tanks and rear protection system.

My main concern tho is the tension being applied to the lower spring mounting plate, as it is not designed for this.

Now I have spat the dummy with the ALRC I will probably save up for the x eng solution.

On a different topic, sorry not been in touch for the +2" brake lines Dave!

Mr Hobbit,

David's answer was in the affirmative. Could you bring them along to Sodbury and I'll have a look see. I don't know exactly where I'll be cos I'm looking for lots of stuff. I'll PM my mobile number and we can text a meet.

Ryan