paint/spray questions

nick w

i am currently trying to restore my 1975 series 3 to as original condition as possible but seam to be having great difficulty finding the correct colours for everything ie black items under bonnet ,chassis,axcel/diffs and ofcourse the whites and greens please help as i fell a proper dope asking this but most paint/spray suppliers just look at me vacantly when i ask and manuals and littrature dont offer any pointers either

Engine colour would depend if it's ex-military or civvy.

Air filter, entire chassis, engine sump, both axles, swivel housings, propshafts, all steering gear, carb elbow, throttle linkages/rods, heater box, metal heater pipes, alternator/generator fan, generator, oil filter canister, are black. Rocker cover, injector pump/carb, inlet manifold, alloy part of thermostat housing, alternator, oil canister housing (the alloy bit), are bare alloy. Exhaust manifold is bare steel. A re-con military engine would possibly be dunked in light green paint, so everything on it would be the same colour (look for a brass plate riveted to the N/S of the engine block). The starter motor will have black steel components and bare alloy elsewhere. Clutch master is bare alloy as is the slave. Gearbox is bare alloy with brackets etc in black. Body cappings, windscreen frame, filler cap surround are bare galv. White is not white - it's a cream colour (can't remember the name), and maybe the body sides are as well - down to the body cappings. Body colour is whatever it was previously - wings, bonnet, bulkhead, doors, and rear tub. The wheel rims may have been the same white as the roof, the same colour as the body, black, or green (I think). Front grille (plastic type) is silver grey. Bumper is bare galv.

There may be other variations, but I can't remember (it is 5am :( )

Les.

Engine colour would depend if it's ex-military or civvy.

Air filter, entire chassis, engine sump, both axles, swivel housings, propshafts, all steering gear, carb elbow, throttle linkages/rods, heater box, metal heater pipes, alternator/generator fan, generator, oil filter canister, are black. Rocker cover, injector pump/carb, inlet manifold, alloy part of thermostat housing, alternator, oil canister housing (the alloy bit), are bare alloy. Exhaust manifold is bare steel. A re-con military engine would possibly be dunked in light green paint, so everything on it would be the same colour (look for a brass plate riveted to the N/S of the engine block). The starter motor will have black steel components and bare alloy elsewhere. Clutch master is bare alloy as is the slave. Gearbox is bare alloy with brackets etc in black. Body cappings, windscreen frame, filler cap surround are bare galv. White is not white - it's a cream colour (can't remember the name), and maybe the body sides are as well - down to the body cappings. Body colour is whatever it was previously - wings, bonnet, bulkhead, doors, and rear tub. The wheel rims may have been the same white as the roof, the same colour as the body, black, or green (I think). Front grille (plastic type) is silver grey. Bumper is bare galv.

There may be other variations, but I can't remember (it is 5am :( )

Les.

thanks very much for the info pretty sure the body is bronze green which i assume the engine bay is the same although it looks different my main problem seems to be exactly what black some say its 40% gloss others say java black perhaps you could help you obviously know your stuff thanks again

You could also contact the Series III club for the correct paint. The white is (I think) called Limestone. The Series III club is here . They will also help with restoration questions.

HTH

Ivan

cheers mate did not even realise there was a club just for series 111 most helpfull ta