welded diff f wheel hubs

alfredenewman

:lol: can any one tell me if it possible to fit any free wheel hub to a rrc i am considering welding my fdiff and drive on road in 2 wheel drive with centre diff lockon i have done it before in a suzuki which was realy good off road dont take the mick out of me if this realy stupid idea just tell me yea or nay cheers merrick :)

Not a bad idea, cheaper than an ARB - and I happen to have a brand new set of Defender FWH's for sale. These are quite rare (they came as part of the LT230 2WD kit and obviously have no use on any other coiler). If you're wondering what the difference is, coiler hubs have a different bolt pattern to Series ones, so you can't use Series FWH's.

You will still wear your tyres out very fast on the front, with no diff action between them....

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry

You can see clearly that the inside wheel will have to turn more slowly than the outside when going round a corner. This is fine off road as the wheel slip easily on the surface, but on hte hard stuff you will at best wear your tyres, at worst have a vehicle that won't go round corners or skip across the road when you do.

I would definately not recommend it for on-road use.

Bowie.

Bowie

Maybe I'm missing something here but I am sure he said the front hubs would be freewheeling. In which case they won't be connected to anything until you put the hubs in. As such they can turn at whatever speed they want.

Rgds

Ivan

You will still wear your tyres out very fast on the front, with no diff action between them....

Have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry

You can see clearly that the inside wheel will have to turn more slowly than the outside when going round a corner. This is fine off road as the wheel slip easily on the surface, but on hte hard stuff you will at best wear your tyres, at worst have a vehicle that won't go round corners or skip across the road when you do.

I would definately not recommend it for on-road use.

Bowie.

Didn't catch the free-wheeling hubs bits then?

hi again fridge freezer sounds like adeal to me i am not going to sodbury if you dont mind could you please find cost of postage and i will send a chequeto cover all your costs plus cost hubs to the people concerned about wearig out tyres andskipping around cornerson harder ground off road iwiil use 3 wheel drive on road 2 wd cheers :)

No probs, I'll fish the FWH's out of the truck and weigh them :) and send you a PM.

BTW I have run landies in 2WD (both front & rear) at various times with no problem, ran the RR like it for months - handling was different but not worse in any way, just different. I wouldn't bother with 3WD - just unlock both hubs and run 2WD.

The 109 runs RWD on-road all the time (as all Series do) and powerslides are fun ;)