Changing your LT230 transfer box gearing ratio

Hi Guys,

Finally got my 110 moving!!

I have swapped the 2.5NA with a Discovery 200tdi. Still got all the small tedious jobs to do but definitely on the move.

I have yet to get it on the open road yet but i fear that i this upgrade has now left me under geared.

The LR comes with a 1.667 ratio box and i would like to fit a 1.41 ratio.

Unfortunately there arent that many/none of these boxes available locally.

I am not entaining the thought of fitting 265/75 16 tyres!

Is it possible to swap the gears internally?

Would anyone want to swap my 1.667 set for a 1.41??

I am also planning to fit a LT77 to my Lightweight hybrid and have been watching eb. There are a few that have come up that includes a LT230 but not all come with the 1.41 ratio that i would like to fit. That limits my options. So if the gears could be easily swapped then i could purchase a gbox & tbox without worrying what ratio was fitted.

I had a quick look around site but only found complete removable and replacement of LT230.

What do you guys think? Can an able bodied mechanic achieve this?

Finally, does the defender 90/110 LT77 boxes suffer from the same mainshaft failure as that of its Discovery sibling?

Thanks.

It's more hassle than it's worth to swap the internals of an LT230, you're just as well buying one complete - after all, you'd probably have to buy a complete one to get hold of the gears anyway.

Re: mainshaft failure, I believe it was early R380's that suffered most - it depends on the gearbox number suffix, the later it is the stronger it is give or take. Apart from the shift mechanism and minor ratio differences there's no difference between a Disco LT77 and a Defender LT77 of the same year strength wise.

probably worth considering putting a disco box on instead with 1.22:1 - you won't notice much difference with 1.44.

I had my 1.6 box reconditioned once, and the place that did it dropped in a 1.4 without realising - I didn't notice at all! only found out when I went for the 1.22 upgrade.

probably worth considering putting a disco box on instead with 1.22:1 - you won't notice much difference with 1.44.

I had my 1.6 box reconditioned once, and the place that did it dropped in a 1.4 without realising - I didn't notice at all! only found out when I went for the 1.22 upgrade.

It's the transfer gears you need to change in the transfer box to change the ratio. Not hard at all. You will need to get a new crush tube to get the correct preload on the new transfer gears, but other then that easy as.

I was going to do this myself as I had a 1:1.410 box and wanted a 1.1.222. Luckly I found a 1:1.222 on ebay for less than the 235quid it wpould have cost for the transfer gears.

I rebuilt the 1:1.222 and kept the 1:1.140 just in case it's too leggy

What size have you got now, and why not?

Hi,

I am running 7.50. Meant to say 285/75 16. I hope to put 265/75 but i know this isnt much improvement over 7.50s.

The problem is that where i live the legal top speed is 40mph! There is quite a bit of hills. Thereby 1.667 is a bit low, I would think that 1.2 is too high. I might consider a 1.2 for my LW hybrid but not for my 110.

Also second hand spares are like hens teeth. All LRs here are imported and continue to live hard/long lives and hardly any are broken up. Thereby my reasoning for changing the gearing as opposed to changing the box. I am hoping that companies like Ashcroft would have some good used ones knockin about that they changed out to disco 1.2 from 1.41.

This would be much cheaper/easier to ship.

Any other thoughts/ideas?

Cheers.

My thoughts are that if you drive legally at the stated max speed, I would not shift the transfer. But if you don't care about the speed limit... ;)

40 mph is about the slowest you can drive in 5th with a 1,41 transfer. Any hill and you'll have to shift down.

My thoughts after having shifted the 2,5 n/a to a 200Tdi and 1,67 to 1,41. :)

Some days i am in a bit more of a hurry more than others!!

Seriously, 40mph for some reason seems to make the 110 seem like it is overreving, so hopefully a change to

a 1.4 will make these times abit more hospitible.

A mate of mine has offered me a set of 285/75 16 tyres at a great price. Almost too good to turn down. I

had originally thought that it was definitely not a route i wanted to take, I was looking at 265/75 16s.... But the price is very pleasing.

What do you guys think? It would help with the high reving issue temporarily. I hardly use the 110 off road these days so will suffer the higher low range.

It will make the speedo read wrong. How do i counteract this?

I take it the wheelarches will allow this size tyre?

Look forward to your ideas.