1996 Disco spider ?

landi41

Hello All........

I'm not on here very often but please bear with me.......... Stephen, aka SCL, has written a very definitive piece of info in the tech section on the alarm spider.............

My 1996 Disco North American Standard just recently chucked all of the toys out and refuses to start......

I've narrowed it down to the Multi Function Unit or...........the alarm spider.........

I just happen to have the factory "bypass" gizmo (mentioned in Stephen's post) on hand here.......

I am about to tear into accessing the spider unit but i have a "nagging" question..........

If i fit the bypass "part" will the locking system, etc, still function ??

All replys appreciated...............

Cheers

Dave...........

Landi 41

dredfern@nb.sympatico.ca

Hello All........

I'm not on here very often but please bear with me.......... Stephen, aka SCL, has written a very definitive piece of info in the tech section on the alarm spider.............

My 1996 Disco North American Standard just recently chucked all of the toys out and refuses to start......

I've narrowed it down to the Multi Function Unit or...........the alarm spider.........

I just happen to have the factory "bypass" gizmo (mentioned in Stephen's post) on hand here.......

I am about to tear into accessing the spider unit but i have a "nagging" question..........

If i fit the bypass "part" will the locking system, etc, still function ??

All replys appreciated...............

Cheers

Dave...........

Landi 41

dredfern@nb.sympatico.ca

the thing is that you may not have a spider unit.... 300tdi EDC with autobox do not use spiders.. immobiliser is part of the ECU..

Sure, everything will work as before.

Are you sure there is a spider fitted to your vehicle (NAS, V8)? AFAIK somewhere between 1996 and 1997 the NA Specs discos "lost" the spider. So it depends where your disco falls. Anyway, a middle 1996 made disco should have one. That's what I know, I might be wrong though. << EDIT: that was not true, mea culpa.

Edit: forgot to say Hi. I guess you remember the username.

Dave's Discofairy is a V8 being a NAS one :)

Dave, as far as I am aware the central locking stuff is controlled directly by the 10AS alarm ecu and is nothing to do with the spider unit. Will check for you in RAVE and see if I can figure it out, but unless NAS vehicles are different (which is possible, and I probably don't have a NAS diagram anywhere) I think you will be fine with fitting a bypass. Which one did you get?

Edited to add cipx beat me to it :rtfm::D

Good to see you dropping in Dave. I had a look on LRA earlier but some of the new boys seem to think they rule the roost after being there a month and don't welcome visitors :rolleyes: I think some of them could use a history lesson!!!

cheers

Stephen

I did beat u but I said something wrong (I'll edit it).

Ok. ALL the NAS V8 discos have a spider if they have the 2 button fob, MY between 1996 and 1999 (mostly 1998, 1999 are a bit scarce).

So Dave, go for it and have fun (or at least try to, so it won't look like work :))!