LR G4 Trek (G4 challenege)

Marc1187

Has anyone here been on or been involved in the land rover G4 challenge event?

I'm a mechanic at a land rover dealer and i've been selected to go along to the regional heats for the g4 trek. The G4 trek is the version of the g4 challenge for people that work within the land rover brand. There are 3 people from every land rover dealer around the country(that takes part) to a team, if we get through the regional heats we'll go into the national heats. The winners of that will then be given the chance to take part in the g4 challenge and goto whichever part of the world that will be held in.

Just wondered if anyone knew whats involved, what to expect etc? My regions heat will be held in honiton 4+5th november.

:( I hope theres not too much running, i dont do running. The cycling i can do, anything with wheels is easy! I chose another member of the team especially for the physical activities, he does triathlons and daft things like that! I was chosen because they know i do a fair bit of off roading, there probably wont be much driving though!

It'll be an experiance, and a day off work!

Info here for the next challenge,

A better site was the old 2006 event one, but that's been pulled, as the new one is up,

Yep, was all very physical stuff before, based in Asia and South America, Next event is based in China etc

You may pick up some info Here but mainly covers the vehicle used in the last two events

Thanks for the info.

I dont have too much faith in getting through to the next stages but it'll be a good experiance either way. The third member of the team is a saleswoman with very little idea of whats involved and isnt into anything physical, we'll give it a good go though!

Although i have just started looking into a new job so i may never get there if i leave!

Maybe i wont see you then after all, 4 and 5th is the first 2 day selection which i am not there for, but will be there for the 2nd and 3rd two day selections Tue to Fri inc)

cycling around there would be fun nothing too steep anyway, best bring your camping stuff!

• 3 weeks later...
Our team came second!! Thought we were doing pretty well but didnt think it was quite that well, means we've got to go to eastnor castle for the finals a week on friday. I am aching soooo much!

Well done, I was there on the 6/7th, came 3rd in our heat which was a bit of a sod as I did fancy going to eastnor. Agree on the aching, although I am as unfit as they come!

Thanks everyone.

MJIbex - I am very unfit as well, suprised i survived as well as i did to be honest, i'm trying to get a bit fitter for next time!

Jules - I think theres a team with two women in the final, apparently they think more about the tasks than the men! got to watch out for them!

Thanks everyone.

MJIbex - I am very unfit as well, suprised i survived as well as i did to be honest, i'm trying to get a bit fitter for next time!

Jules - I think theres a team with two women in the final, apparently they think more about the tasks than the men! got to watch out for them!

Good luck

I haven't spoken to her and I don't know if she is in the final but I wouldn't want to drive against her, she is rather good

You will be up against my friends wife Caroline,

she is from Beadles of Sidcup

Speaking of Beadles in Sidcup...

This is my local... (live about a mile from them...)

The guys in the parts shop are VERY helpful and they don't mind when I come with the muddy disco.

The salespeople are OK too... depends which one... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

We came 7th out of 18 in the finals! Not bad really. The lads from ottons won but only just! Very close final between them and dovercourt who had won on points but lost on the final knock out stage.

Was a good weekend at eastnor castle, even with the snow and wind whilst 150foot up one of the towers of the castle doing a zip line 300 metres(ish) across the lake!