Which ARB compressor?

jericho

I think I'm going to have to buy an ARB compressor to opperate my locker - I was going to use a CO2 bottle,but the problem of re-filling when far from home has made me think twice.

They are now offering 3 different sizes : compact,standard and the new high output.

Apart from the obvious issues of size,price and versitility,is there anything to choose between them in servicabilty or reliability?

Where to mount it? I was going to put it on the near-side wheel box at the back of the (series) rear tub - any reason why not?

Thanks, Jerry.

I have this one mounted here:

IMG_0620.JPG

on the bulkhead between seats.

I no longer use it for tyres after buying a T max double pump compressor.

for lockers it has proved reliable.

ps the loose wiring is just laying there for the heated seats

normally goes under the cubby box to the switches

I was looking at the new Big ARB compressor. No idea on cost, but at least it's been built with blowing up tyres in mind rather than as a last resort.

Warn have released a couple of big capacity 12v compressors - up to 10cfm (5cfm at 90psi) which is pretty good - but looks rather expensive - and about the size of your engine!

I have a ViAir compressor from Matt Savage which isn't too big, is very nicely made and pretty quick for tyre inflation. I suspect they might be better value than the ARB. My friend bought a ViAir compressor, small reservoir, pressure switch, fittings and ARB adaptors for about 2/3 the cost of a regular ARB.

Si

ARB High Output Air Compressor

Permanently mounted, this compressor is installed into your truck and includes a full wiring loom with Air Locker solenoid plug in contacts, mounting hardware with reinforcing bracket and quality compressor isolating switch. This compressor can be used to activate Air Lockers, and can perform other functions such as inflating camping gear with an optional inflation kit sold separately.

A hard anodized cylinder bore and PTFE impregnated carbon fiber piston rings are used to reduce friction and maximize the life of the unit. The new, patent pending, anodized mounting bracket that has been engineered to dissipate heat and allow the compressor to be repositioned 180 degrees adds to the new and improved compressor design.

# Features: Pressure switch controlled air reservoir tank automatically shuts off the compressor when maximum pressure is reached

# Easy to clean sintered air filter

# Efficient poppet valve air inlet and exhaust

# Ball bearings for greater durability

# Balanced counter weight for smooth operation

# Powerful permanent magnet DC motor ensures greater performance

# Heavy duty Maxi-Fuse for in-line circuit protection

# The motor is internally thermal protected from extreme temperature damage

Specifications:

# length: 7.5"s

# height: 5.6"s

# width: 3.8"s w/o pressure switch

# weight: 9.9 lbs

# motor voltage: 12 volt (24 volt option)

# maximum amp draw: load 22.9 amps / no load 13 amps

# flow rate: 2.18 CFM @ 29 psi

# duty cycle: 50% 30 min on/ 30 min off

I have this one mounted here:

IMG_0620.JPG

on the bulkhead between seats.

I no longer use it for tyres after buying a T max double pump compressor.

for lockers it has proved reliable.

ps the loose wiring is just laying there for the heated seats

normally goes under the cubby box to the switches

What about perminantly mounting a Tmax compressor? Add a Matt Savage tank and your away.

A/c compressor driven off the engine, decent sized tank hidden somewhere, and a proper pnuematic swich so your not dependant on any nasty electrics.

Roger (istruggle2gate11) runs this setup on his rangy and it's faultless, it can even operate air tools and displaces enough air to seat beads on tyres.

IMHO far superior setup to any 'lecy pump and electro pnuematic solenoids.