td5 lurching

Hello all

Been having a few problems with my 110 2002 td5, upon accelerating hardish the engine seems to lurch and lose pwer temporaily, this seems to be random and sometimes happens more when it is cold. On looking at the ecu plug one of the things? is dark like oil, having heard about this causing a misfire do you think this is whet i have got and how much is it going to cost? Can i get away with replacing the injector loom or will the whole engine loom have to be replaced also how do i know if the oil has got into the ecu? had it at 80 on the way home tonight with no problem at all!!!!

cheers...this sounds expensive..... :(

mark

Hello all

Been having a few problems with my 110 2002 td5, upon accelerating hardish the engine seems to lurch and lose pwer temporaily, this seems to be random and sometimes happens more when it is cold. On looking at the ecu plug one of the things? is dark like oil, having heard about this causing a misfire do you think this is whet i have got and how much is it going to cost? Can i get away with replacing the injector loom or will the whole engine loom have to be replaced also how do i know if the oil has got into the ecu? had it at 80 on the way home tonight with no problem at all!!!!

cheers...this sounds expensive..... :(

mark

If it is oil in the loom, you normally get away with just replacing the injector loom, and just giving the red plug a good clean (usually have to repeat a few times). An injector loom is about £40 and takes an hour (at the most) to change. Is very easy to do yourself.

However.... reading this line:

upon accelerating hardish the engine seems to lurch and lose pwer temporaily, this seems to be random and sometimes happens more when it is cold

One other thing is could be is boost pressure. The Td5 has a boost pressure cut point of about 1.2 bar at ambient temp, above this the ecu will cut the fueling until the pressure drops below that of the limit point. Which would cause the engine to lurch.

The Td5 does suffer from seized turbo actuators (or partially seized), which will cause overboost problems... as can a previous owner shortening the actuator arm.

The quickest way to find out if this is the cause is to get your 110 plugged into a diagnostic computer and look at the fault codes (over boost will be logged) and check the live data page on a road test.

Anywhere near the midlands and I could do that for you ;)

Ian

thanks ian, it is going into a good mate of mine tomorrow so i will ask him to plug it in and see if it is overboost, what should i clean the red plug with?

Electrical cleaner, or brake cleaner....

If the injector harness is leaking - and has been for a while - you will have to clean it a few times (after replacing the injector harness) before it will stay clean.

Ian