Freelander strange noise

Dorsetfreelander

I have a Freelander TD4 SE auto 04 reg with 24k miles on the clock. Some mornings when I drive off there is a noise like a whining noise (not too loud) which lasts about 15 seconds as if something is pumping up or being pressurised. Occasionally during the day it might happen again when pulling away. If I stop the car whilst this is happening it makes no difference. Any suggestions what this might be?

Thanks Dennis

Is it fitted with a fuel burning pre-heater? Could be that if so

The Bogmonster is right an 04 plate UK Spec SE will have a fuel burning heater which will kick in automatically in low ambient temps when the engine is cold. To confirm it is this in front of your n/s/f wheel will be a approx 3/4 inch pipe which is the exhaust from this; if you feel warm air from this when you hear the noise all is normal.

Mark

The Bogmonster is right an 04 plate UK Spec SE will have a fuel burning heater which will kick in automatically in low ambient temps when the engine is cold. To confirm it is this in front of your n/s/f wheel will be a approx 3/4 inch pipe which is the exhaust from this; if you feel warm air from this when you hear the noise all is normal.

Mark

Thanks, yes it is supposed to have a fuel burning heater although at the moment the heater control is turned right down. Would you expect it to cut in regardless of the heater position?

Thanks Dennis

Yes because it is as much about engine warm up as heater warm up, to reduce engine wear by not having it running cold all the time. The FBH should come on in any ambient temperatures below 5 deg C (sensor behind the grille which sometimes doesn't work!) until the engine coolant gets to a set temperature, and then shut off, and will cycle on/off if the engine coolant keeps dropping below that temp due to slow running, idling, the heater being on full blast or whatever.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes because it is as much about engine warm up as heater warm up, to reduce engine wear by not having it running cold all the time. The FBH should come on in any ambient temperatures below 5 deg C (sensor behind the grille which sometimes doesn't work!) until the engine coolant gets to a set temperature, and then shut off, and will cycle on/off if the engine coolant keeps dropping below that temp due to slow running, idling, the heater being on full blast or whatever.

OK but since it only comes on for about 10-15 seconds I can't believe that it would warm the engine up that quickly (and it hasn't been that cold ie below 5C recently )

Mine used to do the same, though it was more of a groan than a whine.

Any cracks about my weight will be ignored.

It also did it in the summer, but was still the same after the dealer was asked to look at it. Perhaps that was the cause of the very disappointing 28mpg?

A case of "They all do that sir!"

It should be doing more than 28mpg, not much more but should be a little better.

Unless it only does town driving in which case its quite good.

Now I'm just confusing things aren't I

Its hard to know my old Td4 racer would do about 60-80lt to 100miles on a good open track less if it was a technical stage

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds perfectly normal to me, FBH noise, they generally do only make the noise for a few seconds while the burner is starting up, not all the time it is running. I think there was a tech bulletin about it, something to do with the exhaust of the FBH, will try to look at work tomorow.

You may also notice smoke coming from the nsf corner of the bumper if stood still or stop the engine just after the FBH has started, i've seen a few people worried that the car is on fire when it does it and they havent a clue what it is!

I have a Freelander TD4 SE auto 04 reg with 24k miles on the clock. Some mornings when I drive off there is a noise like a whining noise (not too loud) which lasts about 15 seconds as if something is pumping up or being pressurised. Occasionally during the day it might happen again when pulling away. If I stop the car whilst this is happening it makes no difference. Any suggestions what this might be?

Thanks Dennis

I had a an irritating whining noise in my Series III although it used to go on for much longer than 15 seconds. Funny thing though, it stopped after I bought The Dragon a car of her own.

Worked for me!

Cheers,

Bob.

Sounds perfectly normal to me, FBH noise, they generally do only make the noise for a few seconds while the burner is starting up, not all the time it is running. I think there was a tech bulletin about it, something to do with the exhaust of the FBH, will try to look at work tomorow.

You may also notice smoke coming from the nsf corner of the bumper if stood still or stop the engine just after the FBH has started, i've seen a few people worried that the car is on fire when it does it and they havent a clue what it is!

Yes, I think it must be the FBH, I got the car in April and it only started making the noise when the weather got colder. I have also seen the smoke from the near side front if I stop in the dark just after I have got the engine going. All looks a bit scary!

Thanks

Dennis