MM problem (pda)

doddel

not sure where to ask this

anyway, I've tried to install MM 5 on my PDA (hp ipaq travel companion with tomtom gps software). Works fine, but as soon as I try to connect MM to the GPS, Tomtom can't find sat's anymore, nor can MM. It seems like MM blocks the GPS port

any ideas?

What version of tomtom are you using Doddel ? If you are using the old version 3, the tomtom programmes is reluctant to share the gps with another programme.

If it's the new Ipaq 5935 all-in-one, we had trouble with Les Henson's one and couldn't get MM to read the satellites and then lost the tomtom's ability to find satellites too :( . It needed 3 sets of port settings and no combination of them could be made to work. Internet searches turned up a couple of sets of port settings but neither worked for Les' 5935.

Do let us know how you get on

Mo

What version of tomtom are you using Doddel ? If you are using the old version 3, the tomtom programmes is reluctant to share the gps with another programme.

If it's the new Ipaq 5935 all-in-one, we had trouble with Les Henson's one and couldn't get MM to read the satellites and then lost the tomtom's ability to find satellites too :( . It needed 3 sets of port settings and no combination of them could be made to work. Internet searches turned up a couple of sets of port settings but neither worked for Les' 5935.

Do let us know how you get on

Mo

it's the 5940, basically the same as the 5935. Damn. Did you manage to solve the problem in the end?

I bought an HP IPAQ rx5935 specifically to be able to load Memory Map on it, but despite help from several people I have been unable to get it to work. I even followed the instructions here -

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/...698756+28353475, and have still had zero success.

I'd happily pay anybody £50 to get the damn thing working or I'm going to play football with it :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Les.

I had loads of fun getting my MM to work on my ipaq it took a good couple of weeks to get it running properly,

One thing you need to be aware of is if you have had a trial version loaded on youre computer or pda for some reason it tries to load that lisence onto the pda instead of youre legit one there is a programe availible onsupport here but all the help should be here if not just ask they are real good

I bought an HP IPAQ rx5935 specifically to be able to load Memory Map on it, but despite help from several people I have been unable to get it to work. I even followed the instructions here -

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/...698756+28353475, and have still had zero success.

I'd happily pay anybody £50 to get the damn thing working or I'm going to play football with it :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Les.

Les,

Looks like you owe Tim £50!! :lol::lol:

What GPS module is it ? …………… odd son it’s a GPS SiRF III chip set and these are know to have some software issues with other programmes, however, the hardware is excellent.

A good bet is always to set up the GPS AND the MM/Tom Tom to NMEA 0183 mode as this is a national standard and the software interfacing is well understood

I have just been all through these issues with my sons Mitac Mio ……… but it works fine now,

If you have set up MM to anything other than NMEA or GRMNB (Garmin) then you may have to reinstall it as it seems to overwrite the NMEA drivers :angry: ……….to be honest MM softeware is quite flakey in some areas............ ;)

:)

Ian

Les.

If it is not working next time I see you Les, let me take a look at it.

Chris

GPS Gate is a nice little app, it solved the (bloody weird) problems Walfy was having with the GPS mouse on his laptop.

I have a GPS app that came installed as a base app on my WM5 PDA that is supposed to do some of what GPS Gate does, except it doesn't work as well as GPS Gate, but I don't need to use it anyway. Only ever had a problem on a PDA when using TomTom and MM and when TT was the old version 3 with GPS 2.07 (IIRC ??) that caused the problems hogging the GPS port.

One bug I did find with MM is that older versions (pre 2004) won't work with ActiveSync 4+, ie the versions of AS required for WM5, latest vsersion I got it to work with was AS 3.7 IIRC. MM 2004+ seem to work fine with AS 4+ though.

Drifting off the topic a little...

Asus PDA with GPS built in, WM6. I sometimes use a program called GPS Dash (Gives speedo, altimeter and other GPS type functions). This does not have an "Exit" function which stops the program from running and so, when you close it with the cross in the corner, it continues to hold onto the GPS port. This means that TTN or MM cannot use it until you reset the whole device - a PITA. On my old steam driven PDA there was a "switcer bar" whci was rather like the task bar on a desktop and allowed you to see what was running and end it. The new one does not have this feature. ISTR that there is a piece of software available which will allow you to see what is running and to end a program if desired. Anyone know what it is? Or got any other suggestions?

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

You need a third party 'Task manager' for WM6 .....................there a ton of info on this as it seems to be a microsoft omission in the build. I think that most of the 3rd party task managers for WM5 have been found to work on WM6...

I'll have a search later..........

edit .....Handyswitcher seems to be the most popular.......................... it is available if you know where to look ;)

:)

Ian

Chris, Start\Settings\System\Memory\Running programs should allow you to see what's running and end the program if you wish.

I use an app called Spb Pocket Plus which allows you to control the action of the 'cross in the corner' so you can change it from minimise (which is the behaviour you get now on WM6) to close. With this installed I have no problems with apps closing and releasing the GPS port enabling me to open another app without rebooting. I use GPS Dash and TT and MM and also a couple of other GPS apps.

GPS Gate is a nice little app, it solved the (bloody weird) problems Walfy was having with the GPS mouse on his laptop.

I have a GPS app that came installed as a base app on my WM5 PDA that is supposed to do some of what GPS Gate does, except it doesn't work as well as GPS Gate, but I don't need to use it anyway. Only ever had a problem on a PDA when using TomTom and MM and when TT was the old version 3 with GPS 2.07 (IIRC ??) that caused the problems hogging the GPS port.

One bug I did find with MM is that older versions (pre 2004) won't work with ActiveSync 4+, ie the versions of AS required for WM5, latest vsersion I got it to work with was AS 3.7 IIRC. MM 2004+ seem to work fine with AS 4+ though.

Just read this thread and was just about to say that Mark90 solved my problem with this little prog. I spent a couple of hrs trying to sort it with a mate, then tried on this forum. Bish and a few others all helped but to no avail. I just assumed I was an IT biff ( Which Pugwash can now confirm) then spent a couple of hrs on the phone to a very clever mate who does all sorts of electonical stuff at work for BAE. (Doing stuff on EuroFighter I think now.) But still nothing. So a quick chat with Mark and a drive over to his place, with laptop in hand and the very important choccy hobnobs. A couple of cups of tea later and it was all up and running. Without Marks help the GPS bit would of gone on E-Bay and I would of given up :(

I have an Acer N35 which has a built in GPS antenna running Tom Tom. I say running, but whenever run TT once I have a signal, I'm lucky if I get half an hour before the whole thing freezes. I then have to do a hard re-boot which is a PITA as I have to re-sync everything.

Would this GPS gate thingy clear this up do you think???