What makes a commercial?

GBMUD

A well known supplier of Landrover towing kit makes the following observation:

Please Note- Post 1998 vehicles that are Non Commercial should comply with the current Type Approval Towing Regulations...

This meaning that towbars for newer cars should be type approved.

So I was wondering, what makes a vehicle a commercial? Tax bracket? VAT status? Use? Body type?

My 110 SW was originally bought by a veterinary practice and the rearmost seats removed. They reclaimed the VAT and it has a load capacity of over 1000kg (I think), so does that make it a commercial? The tax is PLG.

What does the panel think?

Chris

i would have thought that if the VAT was reclaimed then it must be a commercial vehicle. It doesn't matter that its PLG (which is private and/or light goods) as that is simply the tax, i.e., under 3.5 tonne gross. My Iveco cattle truck is PLG as are any of the truck cab defenders that farmers use. But they are all commercial and will have had VAT reclaimed on them. I think it is number of seats and lack of windows in the back that tends to define whether its commercial. Our local farmers supplier using Citroen estates which have had rear windows blacked out and seats removed so as to be classed as commercial. Don't think weight comes into it at small end of market (fiesta vans etc, but if you want to have a crew-cab set up (ie double cab) then the load capacity must be more than one tonne to qualify as commercial. AFAIK Its all to do with what you can and can't offset as legitimate business expenses rather than any specific road tax bracket issue.

Someone else will probably be along shortly to tell me i'm wrong :) :)

all i know is that to claim the vat back on say a ute/navara etc it must have a payload of 1000kg. metric ton.

All vehicle are vatable but it's wether you can claim it back.

Commercial insurances no claims cannot be transfered to a normal policy.

A well known supplier of Landrover towing kit makes the following observation:

This meaning that towbars for newer cars should be type approved.

So I was wondering, what makes a vehicle a commercial? Tax bracket? VAT status? Use? Body type?

My 110 SW was originally bought by a veterinary practice and the rearmost seats removed. They reclaimed the VAT and it has a load capacity of over 1000kg (I think), so does that make it a commercial? The tax is PLG.

What does the panel think?

Chris

Chris

If the Vets claimed back the vat then they must add the vat when selling and pass the proceeds to the Exchequer.

My Ford Connect carries less than 1000kg but I claimed the vat against purchase. When I sell the vehicle I must charge vat.

So did you pay vat on the deal?

Chris

If the Vets claimed back the vat then they must add the vat when selling and pass the proceeds to the Exchequer.

They don't necessarily have to add VAT, they have to account for it which means they have the choice of adding VAT to the price, including VAT in the price or standing the VAT themselves on the selling price. They do have to provide an invoice or receipt showing the VAT

Unless they de-registered between buying and selling the vehicle, then VAT doesn't come into it.

Having 1 of the following makes it a commerical vehicle:-

1. Payload of over 1000KG. Defender 04MY (from memory about dec 04 build on) and newer 110 SW factory fitted with Boost alloys all 07MY 110 SW (regardless of wheel choice) have over 1000KG on the chassis plate.

2. A pickup(outside load area) Hence all the double cabs.

3. Van type body (front seats no rear windows) Hence Disco commercials rear side glass completed blacked out.

Note if an individual/business (not VAT registered) bought a commercial vehicle it loses its VAT status straight away.

Mark.