Adding a supercharger

smo

I'm seriously considering trying to add a supercharger to my TD5 engine on the d-Lander, in addition to the turbo.

Has anyone ever tried this (other than VW with their Turbo/supercharged engines) and are there special considerations i might have overlooked??

What about compound turbos? the smaller turbo boosts as normal and a larger turbo kicks in when boost rises giving you the best of both worlds. Its like VGT turbo but more so. They are DIY fabbed for cummins engines so can't see why you can't do a TD5. keeping boost down would be the biggest problem

Gaza

What about compound turbos? the smaller turbo boosts as normal and a larger turbo kicks in when boost rises giving you the best of both worlds. Its like VGT turbo but more so. They are DIY fabbed for cummins engines so can't see why you can't do a TD5. keeping boost down would be the biggest problem

Gaza

I have very little knowledge of how these work so designing a system using one would be er...tricky!

I have very little knowledge of how these work so designing a system using one would be er...tricky!

here is a link to a pic http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1136225115042569021oFQERr

This should give you an idea of how they go together.

I would imagine it to be a lot easier and cheaper than adding a supercharger.

you would be keeping the original turbo and feeding it into a bigger one. in the cummins

world people have had sucess with a wide range of turbos indicating the you have a range

of larger turbo choice and size is approximate rather than exact.

The size is roughly twice the CFM of the smaller one.

Don't write it off so quickly, compound turbos will be the next thing for performance diesels.

I think the diesel Audi that won le mans was compounded.

Gaza

Personally I'd sell the TD5 and fit an LS1 :)

Jeremy Fearn is the chap you need to speak to, he knows the TD5 inside out and has run twin turbo systems in his racer. I hear he now has a rolling road to perfect setups.

Jeremy Fearn was running a self built twin turbo set-up on a BMW 6 cylinder in his racer. Has he swapped to Td5??

Seem to be a few over on D4x4 that have the problem after tuning.

With varying success of rectification...

Ive been following the thread with interest, if it happens then i will deal with it, until then bring on the power :P

Jeremy Fearn was running a self built twin turbo set-up on a BMW 6 cylinder in his racer. Has he swapped to Td5??

We were up there a couple of weeks ago and it was still the BMW lump.

I thought someone had already Supercharged a TD5 ?

Was there not a website somewhere explaining it all?

Jim :)

When it comes down to it the TD5 is a good lump but it is only icckle. If you have power issues in something so light then I would look at what the cause is not simply look for more horses.

Who said i have issues, its gonna be a total beast regardless but why settle at that.... :P

So speaks Mr 'My gearings so low I could run an 850 'A' series instead of my hoofin gert V8 so nah nah nah' Utteridge

My only plan engine-wise would be to complete the classic restoration by dropping in a 2.6 I6 as it was when it left the factory... RB26DETT's count as equivalent replacement don't they? :huh:

My only plan engine-wise would be to complete the classic restoration by dropping in a 2.6 I6 as it was when it left the factory... RB26DETT's count as equivalent replacement don't they? :huh:

taken from the HH's useful link:

All RB engines have belt driven cams and a cast iron block

so that'll be nice and light then just like the original :rolleyes:

so that'll be nice and light then just like the original :rolleyes:

I think I could live with that though:

It is not uncommon for 600 hp to be achieved on the standard bottom end.

Actually, that'd make a good replacement for a TDi - probably similar MPG, much more horsepowers, can't weigh much more if any, and twin turbos as standard.

Hurrah, back (almost) on topic! :lol:

Sorry! :unsure:

Still BMW as far as I am aware, I should have worded my reply better. I meant he had experience of twin turbos, TD5's and off roading rather than all three at the same time. :)