Safari Centre "Flipper" roof tent

MogLite

I've been researching Expedition style Land Rovers for a while.

Came across this, though it might be of interest

home_m285.JPG

home_m301.JPG

Looks really sweet IMHO - plenty of space inside the Landie, and for sleeping, also scope for making a Safari room under the fold out tent.

Put an Eberspacher in the Land Rover and keep it all warm :D

Its not in production yet

But here is their previous effort

post-16-1193250495_thumb.jpg

post-16-1193250523_thumb.jpg

Not worthy of the Tate Gallery, but not bad - its seems the DIY kit, for that model is about £1800 which compares well with a fancy roof rack with a grands worth of roof-tent on it.

Here is their complete website with Google translations

I feel I might have to plan a trip to Germany next year :rolleyes:

I've been researching Expedition style Land Rovers for a while.

Came across this, though it might be of interest

home_m285.JPG

home_m301.JPG

Looks really sweet IMHO - plenty of space inside the Landie, and for sleeping, also scope for making a Safari room under the fold out tent.

Put an Eberspacher in the Land Rover and keep it all warm :D

Its not in production yet

But here is their previous effort

post-16-1193250495_thumb.jpg

post-16-1193250523_thumb.jpg

Not worthy of the Tate Gallery, but not bad - its seems the DIY kit, for that model is about £1800 which compares well with a fancy roof rack with a grands worth of roof-tent on it.

Here is their complete website with Google translations

I feel I might have to plan a trip to Germany next year :rolleyes:

Looks excellent expedition kit.

There are 2 expedition ex-demo trailers for sale with one gone already, better send Chris Watts a text pdq :D

Looks nice but the fatal design fault is that the legs supporting the tent are connected to the ground ...... the 110 and the ground don't move at the same time. Put this up in a strong wind and you will understand exactly what I mean.

Looks nice but the fatal design fault is that the legs supporting the tent are connected to the ground ...... the 110 and the ground don't move at the same time. Put this up in a strong wind and you will understand exactly what I mean.

Are you talking about the Land Rover swaying on its springs ?

I saw a Swiss couple carried 2 x standard Defender jacks, I believe they used these like caravan steadies.

Would this help with your design flaw ?

Guest diesel_jim

Or you could fit a bracket to the edge of the rear crossmemeber, and have, say, a boxtion side sill (AKA rock slider) and mount a bracket near the front wheel, then the stays could come back at an angle and mount onto the vehicle itself.

FYI. The Swiss lift up roofs are now being imported by Safari-Equip in Bradford. They have built a couple of them that are usually at the various LR shows. Nothing on their website though.

FWIW. The Safari Centre in Switzerland is run by an Irish chap. I know someone who took their truck to them to have a roof fitted. They were very impressed by the typically Swiss set-up. All of the woodwork is done in-house by their own team of cabinet makers and not the mechanics who just happen to have a jigsaw in their tool box.

Similar roofs of equally high standards are made by Extec in Germany and Lyndi in Austria.

But that is the same problem with every roof tent ever made :)

Are you talking about the Land Rover swaying on its springs ?

I saw a Swiss couple carried 2 x standard Defender jacks, I believe they used these like caravan steadies.

Would this help with your design flaw ?

you could also use the jacks to help level the landy out on slightly uneven ground.

It also looks bloody heavy - as it's on the large side, what sort of weight would that add to t top of your vehicle? Bear in mind you *will* want to do some serious offroading whilst on expedition ;):lol:

It also appears to have the problem most did before MyWay came along (who are still far from perfect) - there doesn't look like there's alot of venitilation between the fly and the tent? Spend a cold night in an old style howling moon and as you get dripped on in the morning you'll know why it's important. I can see a gap, but doubt that would be enough? Is there any venitlation holes inside? It looks like it's canvas? :huh:

(and putting a heater in a tent will have the same effect!)

Also bear in mind, you have to put it away everytime you want to move, no option for adding it to a trailer if it's built into the roof of the landy like it looks from the pics. Still, I like the low profile and that is *huge* tent! B)

Unsuprisingly we spent quite a while looking at tents, my perfect one would be howling moon floor and ladder, Myway canvas tent. Sadley, don't think they'll be making it! :angry:

Well, not really - the ventilation issue surely just relates to that tent?

Surely all the points you raised apply equally to a rooftent and rack,

unless as you said it is mounted on a trailer.

And therein lies my point exactly :) Oh, and you can take the roof tent off your car when you get home if it's not built in... and even the roofrack if you want to. Don't really have that option with the set-up above. That's the great thing about Landy's and expedition euipment, so much choice there's something to suit everyone B)