clutch problem

Hi,

I have a little problem with me clutch its 200tdi 90 and i noticed that the pedal felt bit soft and was going closer to the floor before doing anything and got worse as the day went on.

Got round to checking the fluid level and the pot on the master cylinder was near enough empty.

Now the pedal will travel half way down with no resistence but luckily enough the last half will just disengage the clutch. Theres no fluid leaking from the master cylinder so i am guessing at the slave leaking, can anyone confirm this by what i have said??

Wouldn't be the clutch itself would it???

thanks in advance

Have you got a drain plug fitted in the clutch bell housing? If so - remove it and any fluid in there will most likely be clutch fluid. If no drain plug, then it will still drip out of the hole, so is still detectable. New clutch slaver cylinders are quite cheap - I recommend you buy a genuine item - they are only about £10 more than cheap alloy after market items that fail very quickly.

Of course - you could buy a Britpart item and become expert in replacing them in a very short space of time :angry:

Les.

I recommend you buy a genuine item - they are only about £10 more than cheap alloy after market items that fail very quickly.

Of course - you could buy a Britpart item and become expert in replacing them in a very short space of time :angry:

Les.

i second that les , mine lasted less than a year.

Sounds very similar to what happened to mine and it was due to the slave cylinder breaking down.

I ended up changing all the hydraulics as I changed teh pedal mechanism as well but I did have real problems getting the nuts undone and used loads of penetrating oil and a few scraped knuckles

Steve

it's the 300Tdi/Td5 clutch pedal assembly, a straight swap for the existing unit & just swap over the clutch master cylinder.

more in these threads :D

Western gave me the info last time and it's well worth changing it over.

It really is just a straight swap but I had problems getting the adaptor off the old master cylinder.

I replaced the lot as it was reckoned that the master might go within a couple of hundred miles of the slave if it hasn't already been changed.

I also made the decision to replace the pipes as it was all out anyway. It was my first major job in my 90

Steve