ARB Diff lockers

bombx3

on my 200 tdi i am running large tyres and keep breaking diffs also fed up changing them (althou its easy)

If i fit arb,s then i have to change shafts ect as i have 10 spline and arb,s are more,the changing of shafts ,cv,s ect ,and electrics no props but diff internals never done before.Do arb give all the diff bits as a package to do the job in the diff.I feel as i can save quite a sum doing it my self ,i can strip modern motorcycle engines and rebuild no probs so not a complete novice,If any one has fitted one advice would be very helpfull

Regards

Ray

I think the only special tool you need is a funny (NPT?) tap to put the fitting into the diff which you can get from Ashcrofts as we got one a few years ago.

I have never done one myself but having watched somebody else do several and having what I consider to be a reasonable amount of mechanical common sense it is a job I would have a go at myself. If you can strip and rebuild engines then I should think you would have no problem. I think Ashcrofts site has a guide to doing it anyway.

A 1/8 NPT tap for the airline ..................... and a dial gauge for setting up the backlash ..................

However, I think you run 37's ................. and they are never going to sit comfortable with 10 spline diffs .............. with ARB's in as well, I guess you had better get a good stock of shafts in ! ;)

Here you go ................. pinched from D90.com as it was sucjh a good article......

ARB_Rear.pdf

:)

Ian

When I bought mine I looked at building/fitting them.

While it seemed straightforward (you get full instructions when you buy them), considering that a pair will cost over a grand then £150 to have them both built seemed worth the expense.

i have been quoted 160 +vat plus £85 postage for two=this anit going to happen ,

A 1/8 NPT tap for the airline ..................... and a dial gauge for setting up the backlash ..................

However, I think you run 37's ................. and they are never going to sit comfortable with 10 spline diffs .............. with ARB's in as well, I guess you had better get a good stock of shafts in ! ;)

Here you go ................. pinched from D90.com as it was sucjh a good article......

ARB_Rear.pdf

:)

Ian

I was going to fit ashcroft shafts and cv,s do you think that set up will work?

After the second broken diff I would have thrown a Salsbury under it and be done. With 37 inch tyres the Rover crownwheel and pinion will be screaming for mercy regardless of what carrier you fit to the centre. Salsbury diffs are capable of putting up with lots of awfulness, and if the halfshafts aren;t up to it they can be upgraded to anything up to 1.5'' 35 spline with a kit from Jack McNasty Differentials in OZ.As he is widely respected in the LandRover transmission field I'm not sure why Dave Ashcroft doesn't offer something similar, but that is up to him to comment on.

bill

I was going to fit ashcroft shafts and cv,s do you think that set up will work?

I run 37" tyres with that set up, they converted diffs to 4.1 and pegged them too. Nothing has broken yet. No change from £3k though. For that money you could do plenty of other things - mog, volvo portals etc

Guest diesel_jim
After the second broken diff I would have thrown a Salsbury under it and be done. With 37 inch tyres the Rover crownwheel and pinion will be screaming for mercy regardless of what carrier you fit to the centre. Salsbury diffs are capable of putting up with lots of awfulness, and if the halfshafts aren;t up to it they can be upgraded to anything up to 1.5'' 35 spline with a kit from Jack McNasty Differentials in OZ.As he is widely respected in the LandRover transmission field I'm not sure why Dave Ashcroft doesn't offer something similar, but that is up to him to comment on.

bill

He does now...

yes you can build them up yourself, ARB instructions are good, its just a case of making sure you get the back lash right, i didnt first time around! you need the tap as Ian says and ideally a dial gauge. you can get taps from here:

Tap & Die shop

ref 4.11s are you already run them to sort your gearing out? i did hear that 3.54 were stronger - why i don't know.

i am running 35" Fedmias with ashcroft CVs, shafts and 24 spline ARBs but not pegged and since overcoming the inital backlash problem all OK

I run 37" tyres with that set up, they converted diffs to 4.1 and pegged them too. Nothing has broken yet. No change from £3k though. For that money you could do plenty of other things - mog, volvo portals etc

£3K!?!?!?!?!

surely for that sort of money you could get a set of nissan or toyota axles with factory difflocks modified to run under your landy?

that way you run standard manufacturers parts and they are pretty much unburstable. well the nissan axles are, the half shafts look the thickness of Geoff Capes forearms!

Ok lets get to the bottom of this problem .I like the sound of portals and volvo axles ect but as i am always so busy ,time for quick repair work is a issue

.I must be able to sorce the parts locally to save time specialy now we have dark nights and i want to use the landy at weekends.Once i do the job i dont want to be messing around with a carp setup i want to get it right from the start,what i mean is no snapping drive train,Can you spread some light on the portal thing and where and what volve axles

Loads written on this forum and others,

toy conversion

Pirate toy conversion

unimog

straight forward supplies unimog

Have you thought about KAM? Kam website

There are plenty of other options too, most of these have been discussed on this forum Salisbury, Simca, Dana, Maxidrive, (search for these threads in the international forum).

I am really pleased with the Ashcroft setup but that is my choice, yours may be different, there is no right answer, it really depends on,

How much money you want to spend,

How much time you have

What you want to use it for

Almost anything is stronger than a 10 spline rover setup so whatever you do will be an improvement.

if youre running 10 spline standard stuff, a simple upgrade to 24spline shafts diffs cv's will be stronger. if you feel the need to have an arb, you' be best looking at strengthened shafts IMO. i went for ages running a land rover 4-pin pair of diffs and genuine shafts and cv's.

now i'm on ashcroft and arbs both ends, 37" tires and soon 4.75 ring and pinions from the usa. fearless drivetrain!