Is my welding any good?

smo

This was a section of the weld fixing my winch tray to the chassis, obviously i hope to god it holds as failure would be catastrophic, it was welded at full chat using all 175A i had available and did somewhat glow afterwards! (done in 2-3" sections) Weld bead is approx 12mm wide, fixing 6mm plate to chassis.

Does it look sound, i know thats not a good way of testing it but i cant really do that without destroying the vehicle!

Comments on improving would be great :)

post-2053-1193422520_thumb.jpg

P.S - The hole in the weld is a hole in the chassis, not where i've been over enthusiastic and blown a hole in it!

The picture is hard to interpret.

But, it looks like you have a lot of weld on the chassis and hardly any on the plate.

If the weld bead is 2mm you have only puddled 1mm into the plate.

More arc time on the plate and less on the chassis I recon.

**Disclaimer, I can't weld for toffee

The picture is hard to interpret.

But, it looks like you have a lot of weld on the chassis and hardly any on the plate.

If the weld bead is 2mm you have only puddled 1mm into the plate.

More arc time on the plate and less on the chassis I recon.

**Disclaimer, I can't weld for toffee

I see your point, however the plate is 6mm thick, and there was a slight gap under so its well filled, and the heat was eating the plate up nicely so well "joined"....or so i think?

Looks good to me, if anything a little less power or slightly more wire, if it glowed when you finished that is a good sign, a good indicator of a bad weld is when the weld glows but you can see a clear line where hot meets cold, ie. not stuck well.

Oh by the way, I can weld for toffee but I prefer McVities. ;)

Looks good to me, if anything a little less power or slightly more wire, if it glowed when you finished that is a good sign, a good indicator of a bad weld is when the weld glows but you can see a clear line where hot meets cold, ie. not stuck well.

Oh by the way, I can weld for toffee but I prefer McVities. ;)

Was a good glow of both weld and surrounding metal.

I think thicker wire would have allowed a lower feed speed, but then i'm onmly running 0.6 wire at the moment.

I may be wrong, but I think the comment from Fridge and Nick relate to the weld in the photo looking a little 'flat' (at least that's how it looks to me).

Looks good as far as I know, that would be my reservation though, which its hard to see from the photo. A little faster wire maybe.

Its hard to see the exact line you were following - it does appear quite offset from what looks like the right 'line' in the pic. Seems to be just touching the edge of the plate on the right? Looking at what must be the heat affected zone in that plate (quite faint), it seems a good observation?

Sorry if thats not what you meant guys.

Al. :)

can you get a picture from the underside?

That would give a good indication of the penetration, thats what it's all about.

You cant see the underside as its a chassis its welded on to....penetration was good from what i coujld see looking through the holes into the chassis box tho.

The other thing you have to take into acount, is that although you have done what appears to be an okay weld, you are weldin 6mm to 3mm, so the potential failure is going to be tearing the weld out of the chassis (before the 6mm plate fails). Some extra gussets underneath, tying down the insdie of the chassi would definitely be beneficial.

Toby

The other thing you have to take into acount, is that although you have done what appears to be an okay weld, you are weldin 6mm to 3mm, so the potential failure is going to be tearing the weld out of the chassis (before the 6mm plate fails). Some extra gussets underneath, tying down the insdie of the chassi would definitely be beneficial.

Toby

Hence the width of the weld to get good adhesion and penetration into the chassis with a good wide bead. I shall probably weld up the uderside too tho, just for piece of mind :)