Advice please!

Paul Wightman

I have been accused of not taking the forum seriously of late so I thought I should change my ways before I get thrown out!

There seems to be a problem with the same questions being asked over and over again. Answers come from many sources, there are the knowledgeable, there are the ‘guessers’ and there are the armchair experts who know diddly squat!

Come the end of a thread the person asking the question is none the wiser.

Which mig welder is a prime example.

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

And finally HERE

There are some very good sites such as THIS ONE which has people qualified to give good advice.

One problem is when someone says they want to spend £300 on a welder it doesn’t help being told they need to spend £1000 or a 3 phase 600 amp plant is the only way to go.

I am no forum expert but is there no way a definitive answer can be found, be it via a poll or answers provided be those who know what they are talking about and it become a locked topic in the archive section?

It would avoid having to trawl through the same topics over and over and bad advice being mixed with good.

Any ideas?

Good idea Paul but I'm not sure 'which MIG welder should I buy?' or 'What's the best colour for my Landy?' have definitive answers, just lots of opinions :rolleyes:

Thats said though don't the better, ie more 'definitive' threads from tools and fab, get put into the tech archive?

Most of the 4wd forums I have been involved with have been the same Paul. It's not only us LandRover folk that are as thick as bricks and can't be bovvered searching . Check out Pirate sometime to count the number of Rockwell,D60, 9'', Broken Detroits, Check my gear pattern One link, 3 link, 4 link,6,8,12inch lift, etc etc ad nauseum threads there are that cover the same old same old ground day after day. The thing is that there are only so many components and tools that go into making up a vehicle and most subjects related to these and any problems encountered have been covered years ago. Does that mean that we should stuff the technically accurate threads on each subject into the archives and prohibit further discussion on them ? These forums would dry up and cease to exist in a week.

Bill.

Those of us that spend a lot of time on the forums do tend to notice the same old question asked repeatedly.

'Which MIG should I get' is a prime example lately. Unfortunately people may not know that the person replying to their question is an armchair expert or a no-brainer. In circumstances such as this the original poster would benefit from multiple opinions as he/she is more likely to get the right answer. Having said that - you don't have to be up to you armpits in oil in order to supply the correct answer to a lot of questions - just the ability to be right. Perhaps we are just as guilty by answering the same old question time after time, just point the poster at a similar thread.

Les.

On this particular subject (welding) I would imagine that Mr. Wightman probably knows more than most :)

I sometimes find it difficult to understand why people bother answering a post, talk rubbish and then at the end of it put "but I don't really know much about it". Where's the point ? It only serves to confuse the original poster.

You should only answer a post if and only if you know what you are talking about.

As for Paul not taking the forum seriously, well a little levity now and again is a good thing and Paul's positive input into the forum far outweighs his lighthearted (no pun intended :) ) posts. Poor Will ;)

Mo

the question is deciding whos in the know and who isnt......

Exactly right - the only way to know is to read previous posts made by whoever you want to 'check up on'. I don't think anyone does that in reality - the nearest anyone would get is to look at the post count - which to be honest in some cases isn't worth the KB that it takes up on this website. Multiple replies are the safest option and if the majority of replies are "you forgot to put the wheels on matey", then it's a safe bet you have the right answer.

Anyway - this bluddy Paul Wightman geezer - who's he then? :unsure:

Les. :lol:

Anyway - this bluddy Paul Wightman geezer - who's he then? :unsure:

Les. :lol:

I'm nobody of any importance. bonk.gif

It’s true, there is often no one answer and it does come down to opinion. The mig welder question is a prime example of a subject that requires experts AND members opinions.

The welder forums offer good advice as what to look for in a welder and members can evaluate machines they own or have owned.

My advice is to buy from somewhere where you can try out a range of machines and if your new to welding take a knowledgeable friend.

I have been accused of not taking the forum seriously of late so I thought I should change my ways before I get thrown out!

There seems to be a problem with the same questions being asked over and over again. Answers come from many sources, there are the knowledgeable, there are the ‘guessers’ and there are the armchair experts who know diddly squat!

Come the end of a thread the person asking the question is none the wiser.

Which mig welder is a prime example.

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

And finally HERE

There are some very good sites such as THIS ONE which has people qualified to give good advice.

One problem is when someone says they want to spend £300 on a welder it doesn’t help being told they need to spend £1000 or a 3 phase 600 amp plant is the only way to go.

I am no forum expert but is there no way a definitive answer can be found, be it via a poll or answers provided be those who know what they are talking about and it become a locked topic in the archive section?

It would avoid having to trawl through the same topics over and over and bad advice being mixed with good.

Any ideas?

i have a clarke mig mate 151 turbo gas or gas less cost around 200 quid does all i need on my land rover very well recomend it to anyone

Making comments from an armchair is so much more relaxed...

laptop in bed is even more relaxing,

ive been on a few forums you get people who have done alot to a specific thing like les he's seen alot of different problems with the same thing

and u get people who just guess a answer

and also alot of people answer on a personal preference

I suppose, in this example, a "welder buyer's guide" in the tech archive would be the ideal thing - telling people what to look for, which makes are better/worse, how all the knobs and baubles work etc., plus some pictures of different units, and then they can make up their own mind.

Of course that assumes someone has the time, knowledge and inclination to write such an article and donate it for free to the forum.

Of course that assumes someone has the time, knowledge and inclination to write such an article and donate it for free to the forum.

Well, I'm willing to collate people's inputs and shape it into something readable, provided people are ok to correct the final doc. But I'm not happy to generate the content. So if people think its useful, I'll act as some kind of collector / sticker-together? Its something I can confortably do from my armchair.

If people think there is worth in doing this, then let me know - perhaps someone would like to share the job?

Who would be willing to contribute to the content? Could we even get to a consistent point of view?

It seems like there is a need for something like this? Dunno...

Al.

:)

On the welder front i think the "take a knowledgeable friend" advice is the only way to go if you are new to welding. At a bare minimum consult a knowledgeable friend. Unless you know who on the forum knows their stuff then you are walking into a potential minefield.

I like the way people talk out of the place were the sun doesnt shine! I remember a thread about the lightweight of roader that someone was dreaming about: it ended up as a vapour build show off (with some people you just know dont you).

I then suggested that homebase does a good deal on thin acrylic sheet to replace your windows with, so you can shed some weight.

I think 1 person replied that the weightsaving wasn't worth the bother, and the thread died a death shortly after. Right ok then, maybe people just like to dream together with others.

Group hug I reckon.

daan

Help I'm undecided, which MIG???

Do I go modern, Mig 29?

ScreenShot_207.jpg

or Classic, Mig 15?

MiG-15UTI-205-01.jpg

I could go ultra modern MIG 31, but I'm not sure I need all that power and it's a bit out of my price range..

mig31_01.jpg

Then there's the very reliable MIG 25..

mig25.jpg

mmmmmmmm MIG's there so many to choose from :rolleyes::rolleyes:

pic5.jpg

Cheers

Steve

I like the way people talk out of the place were the sun doesnt shine! I remember a thread about the lightweight of roader that someone was dreaming about: it ended up as a vapour build show off (with some people you just know dont you).

I then suggested that homebase does a good deal on thin acrylic sheet to replace your windows with, so you can shed some weight.

I think 1 person replied that the weightsaving wasn't worth the bother, and the thread died a death shortly after. Right ok then, maybe people just like to dream together with others.

Group hug I reckon.

daan

why bother with a group hug Daan? Ive gotten so used to being wrong I simply dont give a flying **ck,

tyres, axles, engines, winches, welding, driving, navigation, even building lighter vehicles - one day I may accidentally get it right but until then I can live with the disapproval.

do as you do - smile at the confusion :lol:

toys...

not a lot, Miller, Cebora, Esab, Migatronic short list I know but its ok for the home hobby jobs :)