Advice please!

Paul Wightman

Daan,

I was the person who started the lightweight build thread, it may currently not have any significant substance, but i posted the question for opinions and hopefully a means of bouncing ideas about.

I do have a project that will (hopefully) incorporate the ideas that got thrown about, but researching the idea by asking questions(that some may find pointless) is cheaper and easier for flushing out 'stupid' mistakes that i may make.

Equally i accept that not all persons will agree or see the point of certain questions.

Hey ho, thats life.

No offense to anyone, but this thread is really starting to stack up with horsecrap.

There are so many pointed comments, egotistical remarks etc etc. Can we leave that stuff at the door please? This is the tech section, an asset to the forum IMHO, lets keep it that way. Unpolluted and pure-ish?

The issue is: do we create some kind of beginners guide to mig welding kit or not? Either to avoid repeat questions, or just to help out people who want to get stuck in.

Its pretty straightforward to extract the salient points of the threads linked in the original post. Explain the basics of what to look for, what everything does etc. I wish I'd had access to that kind of info when I was getting started, seems like a lot of people are looking for that. I'm sure, even with the differing opinions we can agree on the basics?

Now, anyone agree with this, or shall we just let it sink and then tolerate the mig questions as they come along?

I like Chris' suggestion of some kind of poll of users, but how do you factor in their background so you can reflect on how qualified their comments are?

Al.

For what it is worth Al I think a guide is worthwhile. The user can then be reasonably confident the advice is coming from those who know what they are talking about.

The challenge will be producing it, which I would offer to do, but I know nuffink on this topic. :lol:

I'm not too sure that a 'list of experts' is such a good idea. People would probably not post and just pm/e-mail whoever it is on the list that is most likely to help them. I'm not sure that the experts would appreciate this. Information being given and asked for off the website benefits it not at all. A 'What welder' thread in the tech archive might be ok, but most of it would be 'I have got this and it's great' People have different experiences/abilities/money to spend, so such a thread would be very complex and quite possibly never ending.

Les.

The challenge will be producing it, which I would offer to do, but I know nuffink on this topic. :lol:

Well, like I said, I'd be happy to hammer something together, but I'm not a good enough welder to be responsible for the content.

I guess I could write about the basic bits and then check everyone agrees with what I've said?

Al. :rolleyes:

why bother with a group hug Daan? Ive gotten so used to being wrong I simply dont give a flying **ck,

tyres, axles, engines, winches, welding, driving, navigation, even building lighter vehicles - one day I may accidentally get it right but until then I can live with the disapproval.

do as you do - smile at the confusion :lol:

toys...

not a lot, Miller, Cebora, Esab, Migatronic short list I know but its ok for the home hobby jobs :)

Well, I think this forum is very much about people chatting a lot and being sociable with each other. Fine if that is what you want but some people also want proper advice before they get on with a job.

Daan,

I was the person who started the lightweight build thread, it may currently not have any significant substance, but i posted the question for opinions and hopefully a means of bouncing ideas about.

I do have a project that will (hopefully) incorporate the ideas that got thrown about, but researching the idea by asking questions(that some may find pointless) is cheaper and easier for flushing out 'stupid' mistakes that i may make.

Equally i accept that not all persons will agree or see the point of certain questions.

Hey ho, thats life.

It wasn't a dig at anyone but it did occur to me that a serious suggestion wasn't actually received as such. There was just talk about spaceframes, independant suspension and cosworth engined vehicles of which I dont think many will ever turn a wheel.

Daan

No problem Daan, no offence, and yeah some ideas will be just vapour.

But i think that the phrasing of the question in the first instance can determine what responses are expressed.

For example:

What Mig do i get......... huge range of answers possible.

I have £300, want a beginners Mig, and want new to get the reassurance of a warranty....... will get a totally different response.

As Al has offered to do a 'guide' i think its a good idea, but it needs to be put into a context, cos the spectrum of answers can be enormous.

How about a thread where everyone can post a post about their own welder.

I think knowing everyone's opinion of welders they have actually used, and what prices they paid, what they use it for, good points bad points etc would be far more useful than outright criticism of certain machines / makes not based on any solid fact at all.

Also, whats wrong with asking for advise on a forum, surely thats what its there for, if you don't like that sort of thread you don't have to read it, it only occupies one line of text on you computer screen!

i know I havn't posted n here much, I've been lurking for a while, and probably should have contributed a bit more, I will in future, will add my project to the appropriate forum soon, I hope it will be of some interest, am currently making my own chassis, hence the need for a mig welder.

If someone starts this thread I will add a bit of a write up about the welders i have personal experiance of if people would be interested / find this useful, I think it will only be useful if everyone refrains from writing something along the lines of " my welder is best and everything else is a pile of scrap" so I will try to be as critical as possible.

Will