Tyre Size

Hi,

Went to a pay and play day today at Warninglid, West sussex and i have now decided i want new tyres.

The one i have came on the 90 when i bought it and were new so i left them on but today in the mud they were useless. They are 225/70/16's MT's not sure on make but they were no good, just fill with mud.

I have a 2inch lift but i wanted to ask peoples opinion on which tyre to go for and what size?

I want to get more diff clearance but dont know how big is best and what width tyre.

I am looking at the Insa turbo's as i have seen some today in action and they seem to work well and are cheap, but i want some which i shall put on spare wheels so i dont have to use them on road daily.

Any advice would be great.

many thanks

What would that work out to tyre size in inchs??

or does a 265/75/16 come out larger??

And what size rim would these need?? width wise??

I heard 32inch is biggest with 2 inch lift

255.85 and 285.75 are about 33" in diameter and they fit standard 7" rims.

235.85 and 265.75, 7.50x16 are about 32" in diameter and these are standard fitment

on the defender from the factory.

So with a 2" lift there are no problems with the larger tyres. I had them on my 110.

TJ101 means 255/85 R16 BFG MTs

my tuck has a 2" lift and i run the 255.85.R16 BFG MTs (on a 6.5 rim (yes i know!)) as daily road/greenlane and DRD tyre and rate them highly.

For comp work i use 35" FEDIMAS which come in at 36" and bit! so you can def go higher than 32" on both accounts. arches are trimmed for the FEDIMAS.

If you are thinking of SIMEX/FEDIMA/INSA turbo style grip then you may also want to think about drivetrain all those produce alot of grip and in that 'black mist' moment can trash your a std drivetrain.

Having said that Dave Lang uses INSA and i think he runs std drive train, they jsut require alot of care i would have thought.

You can fit 35's with a 2" lift.

A 33" tyre will fit without even rubbing the arches.

Cheers

Steve

Will a 285/75 16 tyre fit a standard height 110 (HD springs) with much modification?

I am not planning on a lift, just a mate has a set for a good price!

I am also not planning my offroading in the meantime. (They are streety too with no mud knobs on the sides).

Would a 285 be safe on a 7" inch rim or should it really be on a 8?

Cheers

They will fit ok, but will rub on plastic arches off road unless you trim them.

Depending on the offset of your wheels you may also find that you've lost some steering lock and may need to adjust you lock stops to stop the tyres rubbing on front radius arms (MOT fail).

Cheers

Steve

They will fit ok, but will rub on plastic arches off road unless you trim them.

Depending on the offset of your wheels you may also find that you've lost some steering lock and may need to adjust you lock stops to stop the tyres rubbing on front radius arms (MOT fail).

Cheers

Steve

My plan is to use 16x8 modulars but until they turn up i was looking at the possibility of using 7x16 8spoke. Basically more offset than stock.

Would this cause any more problems with the more than stock offset? Is the problem with the tyres rubbing due to the extra height or the extra width?

Cheers.

Basically more offset than stock.

Would this cause any more problems with the more than stock offset?

no, more offset is better when fitting wider tyres as it will give you some of your turning circle back.

Is the problem with the tyres rubbing due to the extra height or the extra width?

Both, a stanley knife on the arches will easily fix it though.

Cheers

Steve