TD5 Radiator Replacement

woff

I, like many other 99 Discovery owners have probally endured replacing their TD5 Radiator.

I have replaced the radiator due to coolant loss and that have solved the leak. Now I need to fit the restrictor.

Well I have the resrictor PCS 000010. But where abouts do I fit this restrictor :unsure: ?

Has any one had to fit one of these restictors if so where or which pipe does the restictor need to be incerted to on the Fuel Cooler.

Thanks for that lynall .

After fitting the radiator I still had coolant loss. So I investigated further and found that the bottom hose had coroded to the extent that when the thermostat opened the pipe would leak as per picture. I will replace the pipe and see how I get on. Not sure if this is common. Any Ideas if it is?

I ripped the undersheilding out and this exposed the problem.

Many thanks

post-4066-1194194648_thumb.jpg

I have remembered about this, the restrictor slows the flow from the fuel cooler back to the stat which allows the engine to get to temp quicker i think :unsure: strictly from memory :lol:

I am sure i read it in a recall notice/ bulletin somewhere.

Mine takes the same time to warm up with the new rad but it may be quicker with the restrictor.

if you find out let us know.

Lynall

I'm going to look at the restrictor part location though the bulletins. There is some thing on drilling out the fuel cooler outlet on the radiator. This probally should have been done :huh: . I had a quote for the replacement pipe for the bottom hose. £180. Nearly fell off my chair :o .

So todays activity will be to repair the pipe, may weld it.

Lynall are you going to Hanover week next?

We don't fit LR rubbish placky radiators. We get a real alloy radiator made and fit that. Same price, better quality and 100% metal.

Funny, though my 1987 Audi is still running with its plastic/alloy radiator after 19 years and 280k kilos. Maybe they made it properly in the first place.

Also, note the instructions with the TD5 radiator instruct you to fill it with a distilled water/antifreeze mix. Maybe someone should tell them that distilled water will CAUSE corrosion. What you should use is denatured water.

instructions with the TD5 radiator instruct you to fill it with a distilled water/antifreeze mix. Maybe someone should tell them that distilled water will CAUSE corrosion. What you should use is denatured water.

erm

what is the difference :blink:

genuine question - I don't know and I wondered how it caused corrosion?

rainwater is good :lol:

Well I repaired the pipe.

In answer to the question about the water and wherther to use the distilled water or what.

I was only aware that if you were in a situation where you knew that the water was saline then this would cause problems like with all vehicles with steel pipes in the cooling system.

Aslong as the coolant was mixed 50/50 with the OAT corrosion inhibitor with most water (accept saline) then this would be fine.

The repair itself used a V8 top radiator hose to replace the leaky pipe.

(I must stress at this point that the corrosion was caused externally by the engine shielding contacting the steel pipe, water lying in the sponge of the shield held created pits in the pipe.)

The holes you can see from the pictures.

It looks like a very shoddy repair job but if this is successful (it is not leaking ... Yet .. :lol: )it would have saved me £180 which I can spend on buying a roll cage for the 90 a much more worth while expenditure.

post-4066-1194303351_thumb.jpg

post-4066-1194303411_thumb.jpg

post-4066-1194303526_thumb.jpg