twin motor 8274

yella 90

now, im a person who likes to give anything a go, and one of them things is twin motoring my front 8274

now i was looking at doing it how jim used to make them, adapter plate and machineing the casing

but when i took it apart tonight for a general check over, i thought it would be rude not to have a look and a measure of the motor ect :lol:

but my god, its kin close :o

now a rough look at how much has to be shaved off, its around 3mm, but is the top housing even that thick :huh::huh:

i have use of a miller and lathe, so i dont have much problems machine wise

but im just unsure of the strength of the casting afterwards :blink:

jim are you willing to shed some light ? or still waterproofing the ecu :ph34r::ph34r::lol:

lewis have you fettled with twin motors yet ? or not got around to it ?

paul, what about you, you used to have one didnt you ?

cheers

dan :)

We (Tom mostly) fabricated a tophousing, it was a failure, we couldnt get the gear contact right or the bearings to last. Gave up after 2 goes.

Tonk on here has built his own.

Why not just talk to the-man-who-never-smiles at Weston Coyney? His seems to work quite well. Also, ask him why he didnt buy a Gigglepin one

ive got a couple of mates who run the giggle pin twin housing and it works beautifully and i dont thinkk it is over pricey for what you get having used it its the power of a double line pull with the same speed as a single if that makes sence

josh

We (Tom mostly) fabricated a tophousing, it was a failure, we couldnt get the gear contact right or the bearings to last. Gave up after 2 goes.

Tonk on here has built his own.

Why not just talk to the-man-who-never-smiles at Weston Coyney? His seems to work quite well. Also, ask him why he didnt buy a Gigglepin one

julian does smile, just need to know how...like winching up a bank, leaving the handbreak off and watch if roll back down what its just come up :lol::lol:

he's like me, will have ago at anything before buying the proper job :lol:

ive seen julians, altho is is made out of steel :huh:

afink im going to use some billet ally easier to work with

what bearing failures did you have ?

cheers tonk, i didnt actualy think that the housing was that thick :huh:

what motor supports do you reckon are best

coming off the winch ?

or off the bumper ?

surely if it comes off the bumper like some ive seen, if you hit a tree hard enough, wont i stant a chance of breaking something ?

cheers

dan

he's like me, will have ago at anything before buying the proper job

Yes, but thats not the reason he didnt buy one. At least not what he told me

The failures we had involved the motor gears trying to climb off the intermediate gear, then with the centres moved closer to the gear we had perfect tooth contact but the bearing on the intermediate shaft expired too quickly to be useful. This was using a Tom-ManufacturedTM phosphor bronze bearing.

Perphaps with less money, more time, less actual work, and more inclination we would have finished it. But a payrise came and suddenly I could afford XP motors and 8074's rather than 2hp motors on a tired 8274. Maybe if we get another long period of downtime I'll persuade Tom it needs looking at again