OT - Can't get diesel renault to run properly

Gromit

Apologies for being completely OT, but both my mechanic and myself have been struggling with this for a while, and you guys are more knowledgeable than most.

A brief history:

The engine is a 1.9 diesel, in a kangoo van. Was running grand until a coolant leak resulted in the head gasket blowing.

I pulled the head, had it skimmed, and now can't get it to run properly.

Symptoms:

Will start and idle for a while and then slowly die.

Revving it results in it dying straight away.

It's generally smoky (greyish), but it has been sitting for a long time - nearly a year now.

Thinking it was a fuel starvation, and not having the time to work on it/generally hacked off with it, I passed it to my mechanic.

It's now running from a fuel bottle under the bonnet, straight into the injection pump, bypassing the fuel filter etc.

Timing has been checked and is ok.

Obviously when doing the head, I disturbed something or reassembled something incorrectly.

First thing that springs to mind, is the loom. There's a sensor in the airbox (airflow/temp?), a coolant temp sender and a few plugs on the injection pump.

Does the panel thing that a duff/incorrectly plugged sensor would give the symptoms above?

I'm not sure how smart the engine management is on it. No lights on on the dash.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance

If it's the version I'm thinking of, get some-one to turn the ignition on, whilst you listen by the injection pump.

You should hear a rapid clicking noise (about 6-9 clicks). This is the advance solenoid. If it sticks, the pump timing is out.

Often giving the injection pump a sharp tap with a hyde mallet whilst turning ignition on cures it.

Of course, there is also the possibility the compression is too low and the overheat has killed the bottom end?

If it's the version I'm thinking of, get some-one to turn the ignition on, whilst you listen by the injection pump.

You should hear a rapid clicking noise (about 6-9 clicks). This is the advance solenoid. If it sticks, the pump timing is out.

Often giving the injection pump a sharp tap with a hyde mallet whilst turning ignition on cures it.

Of course, there is also the possibility the compression is too low and the overheat has killed the bottom end?

Thanks for the response.

We were chatting about the clicky advance solenoid, so that appears to be working.

The engine was running fine with the blown gasket, just had bubbles in the coolant, so don't think the bottom end has been cooked.

As for low compression, on the advice of the guy who skimmed the head, I fitted the thickest gasket. Hope that isn't the problem.

Agree entirely about the French sentiments (though not with the diesel comments <smack>). Only want to get it running so I can get shot of the infernal thing :angry:

I guess the engine in your Kangoo is a F8Q.

If its been seating for a while I would suspect the TDC sensor. Pull it out, clean it and make sure there's good electrical contact over there.

I can send you the pdfs if interested.

Yep, I think it is the F8Q. PDFs would be brilliant. :)

Have you checked the valve clearances are ok, IIRC those are OHC with clearances set by shims...

Yep, it's OHC with shims. Haven't checked them. Just trying to get a list of things to check when I call to the mechanic. Will add that to the list. thanks!