I want to start learning about recovery

Hey guys,

I'm about 6 months into Land Rover ownership, and am learning loads about what my vehicle is capable of.....

What are the avenues I need to consider when it comes to recovery? I have recently joined a club, and will learn the hands-on practical stuff there....

What sort of stuff do I need for the vehicle itself? I DONT want to consider a winch (just yet), but am wondering what on earth all the different ropes and stuff are for.

What are those little rings that hang off the recovery points on the bumper?

I bumped into a bloke recently, who said I should get a recovery "kit" and he was on about something that goes on the bumper....what the hell was he on about?!

Sorry for sounding thick and/or vague, but any advice gratefully received.

Martin

thei little eyes that you have spotted are not up to anything much - they are only used as lashing eyes for when its transported about trucks or trailers so take them off - they will cause damaged if used in anger.

I imagine what the person was on about with the rings, are things called Jate rings - which go roughly in the same place as the towing eyes do, but they are by far stonger and up to the task of being pulled out by something.

the kit as he says - not sure to be honest - could be anything really.

I would suggest first stop of

Kinetic rope (decent one mind) comes in various lenghts

standard rope (not as flexable as the kenitic) also in various lenghts.

gloves

Jate rings (if there is no decent bumper (front or rear) attatchment)

and some shackles to connect it all together (make sure they are tested ones)

Some poeple don't like the rope idea but if used correctly - they are not a problem.

and they are somewhat cheaper than winches.

that should start you off... thats what I had to start with... oh plus - as time goes on get some under body protection.. you will require it at somepoint.

Hey guys,

I'm about 6 months into Land Rover ownership, and am learning loads about what my vehicle is capable of.....

What are the avenues I need to consider when it comes to recovery? I have recently joined a club, and will learn the hands-on practical stuff there....

What sort of stuff do I need for the vehicle itself? I DONT want to consider a winch (just yet), but am wondering what on earth all the different ropes and stuff are for.

What are those little rings that hang off the recovery points on the bumper?

I bumped into a bloke recently, who said I should get a recovery "kit" and he was on about something that goes on the bumper....what the hell was he on about?!

Sorry for sounding thick and/or vague, but any advice gratefully received.

Martin

You can get a lot of different recovery equipment. Much will depend on whether you travel alone or in groups...

I usually travel alone - this makes it rather important to make very sure you have the right kit for many different situations..

My list of essential recovey gear would be something like:

Several (long) pieces of Strong rope - breaking strain above 8 tonnes or similar. Preferably with a relative amount of stretch

Several (long) pieces of chain - with a breaking strain above 8 tonnes or similar. Completely static. Used when rigging the hi-lift for winching.

Lots of shackels to connect the various components.

Hi-lit - Can be used as a winch.

Axe

Spade

Shovel

Briding ladders

Two spare wheels (Bury and use as ground anchor for winching with hi-lit, and use as base-plate for the hi-lit in really soft ground.

What's essential and what's useless depends very much on what sort off-roading you're doing - there are a few universal constants though:

Gloves

A couple of decent bow shackles

A sturdy recovery rope

A hi-lift jack (they are lethal but amazingly useful in equal measure)

Strong recovery points (JATE rings are cheap and easy but not always the easiest thing to get to when you're stuck)

Of course, if you were a member of the Shire LRC you could enjoy PDF's of the series of introductory articles to recovery and off-roading basics... ;)

as above^^^ or do a familiarisation course first then buy what you need off the back end of that rather than spending loads first.

i would suggest

gloves

shovel

shackles, rated bow shackles

front and rear recovery points

8m poly rope

2m Poly rope

as a starting point

if your out on your own

change the vehicle jack for a ladder jack (such as a highlift)

shortening chains

ratchet strap

smaller shackles to use with the chains/highlift

highlift base

Continuous loop can be useful for pulling a chain through.

But i would suggest seeing why you need all the kit first prior to buying.

Plus a means os securing it all in the back of the truck.

Thanks for your responses guys.

I'm in Bedford.

I drive alone mainly, but this will inevitably change as I start to meet people through the club, and I dont do anything too extreme, mainly greenlaning, with the occasional rougher stuff. I dont plan on doing anything too extreme in the long-run anyway, as my vehicle is more expedition biased in its use, its just that, as I said, I'm new to all of this and am exploring what the vehicle (and myself) are capable of, and will inevitably get it wrong at some point, and want to know what to do in the event.

I see all the stuff you guys have mentioned ,advertised on t'internet and in the back pages of mags, but dont know what it all is used for.

Fair enough, buy a rope, and shackles, you all seem to say......but what the hell do I do with them??!! How exactly do I utilise a "Jate ring" or a "bow shackle"....it all looks jolly good hanging off the front of Land Rovers I look at, but I have no idea what to do with one, and where exactly to learn.

Martin

as above^^^ or do a familiarisation course first then buy what you need off the back end of that rather than spending loads first.

But i would suggest seeing why you need all the kit first prior to buying.

where to learn:

any of the clubs near you should be able to give you some leads, if you were down this way (SW) i would say OEC International for a days trg - but then i probably would, they are one of my event sponsors!!!!!

OEC International Ltd

I dare say there are a fair few companies around you that offer some form of training. With luck someone close to you will be online here to give some pointers.

If you want to know what to do, buy this book:

Amazon link

An excellent investment - will tell you all about kit and technique.

Personally I'd be careful about getting a kinetic rope (until you really know what you're doing).

Gloves

Shovel

Fixed rope (>8T)

Hi-Lift jack (to be used as a winch when necessary)

Waffle boards/ladders (if you're doing any of that stuff)

Shackles/Jate rings

Straps (for protecting trees etc from your ropes when you use the hi-lift as a ratchet)

Pulley (increase torque of jack)

Pair of wellies

Definitely read the book - it's a wealth of information and will inspire you to get stuck in (no pun intended)

Just make sure all your revovery kit is tested.

Any shackles should be a minimum of 4.75t rated (this is usualy cast or stamped on to the shackle)

Slightly contravertial but lifting strops are cheap and rated at 7:1 ie a 1 ton strop will break at 7tons therefore a strap rated for AT LEAST 2 if not 3 tons is a handy thing to have and if you know where to go is not to expensive, the thing i like about strops is i can use them for 'towing' recovery or winch recovery.

For the rear of your 90 a standard 3 point fixing tow pack is perfectly adequate aslong as your Xmember and chassis are sound (this applies to any recovery points) a tow jaw is better than a tow ball. A jaw style hitch (such as a NATO) fixed to the chassis crossmember with a suitable spreader plate and rated bolts (12.8 min i think) is often favoured by offroaders.

for the front a pair of jate rings are handy but i would attach a bridle (short strop) between them BEFORE entering the area you are likley to get stuck otherwise your gonna get muddy :rolleyes:

Another basic thing is reduce the amount of 'heavy' components from the recovery as possible, for example if your have jate rings and are using a bridle you DO NOT need to use a shackle see these basic diagrams, if a rope/strop were to break the shackle will then take off and i for one would definatly not want to be around when it lands they are heave and will kill ppl etc.

This shows how NOT to do it

recoveryMedium.jpg

And this is the way it SHOULD be done

recoverycorrectMedium.jpg

i hope this is of some help and can a grownup please check and shoot me down if any of the above is incorrect :unsure:

Will.

^^^^^ Looks fine to me :D

I wouldn't bother buying a 'Kinetic' aka KERR rope until you've had some training & actually been shown how to rig & use one safely, I've been involved with motorsport recovery on & off tarmac for nearly 13 years, only had to use my KERR twice in that time. another 2 books worth getting hold ---------

OFF Road Recovery Techniques by Nick Cole ISBN number 1-899870-13-X & LR's Winching in Safety from here