Bellhousing crossmember

Tonk

Sorry Tonk, I haven't but I'm about to do the gearbox one.

I got a ready-made bolt in crossmember from Designa (who made my chassis) - I'll just chop the old one out and weld in the new mounts in the correct place.

If I was going to do the bellhousing one, I'd copy the system (2 brackets welded to the main chassis rails) and cut the old member out as neatly as I could and weld on some corresponding bolt holes to mate with the newly added brackets on the chassis. I guess I'd add some beef to the crossmember while I was there, assuming it didn't foul with the bellhousing or anything.

Probably doesn't help much, but at least I keep your question at the top of the list! :)

Al.

well i'm thinkin removeable incase it gets damaged, also to gain some clearance under there, thats always the first one to get bent on a series.

am now thinking weld brackets onto chassis and using thick material (probably 1/2" plate) as the crossmember , but have some form in there to make it nice and strong. also move it forwards a bit closer to the upsweep of the chassis.

got any pics of your boltable one?

Agreed. No. Think it's ok - you can repair it after all!

Tonk, can do pics, but only on Dec 2nd when I'm next back. Knowing you, you'll have it done by then...

If not, I'll bung you some, but it's exactly as you'd imagine it! Direct copy of the crossmember, but instead of welding it in, it has flanges with holes in for bolting to 2 included metal brackets which you weld to the chassis (I need to move my crossmember for different gearbox, hence the new one on a new chassis!).

Yeah good idea - you could raise it up a bit defo (maybe it needs to be angled sort of backwards round the bellhousing, rather than downwards under it. Maybe bolt a plate to the bottom of it which *just* hangs under the bellhousing for a bit of protection - rather that than crack/smash the housing.

Al.

As long as there's a crossmember there, then shape and how it's attached only apply for the MOT. I would suggest a second gearbox x-member attached the military way. As long as it doesn't foul the bell housing/flywheel housing, then I don't see any problem at all.

Les. :)

Tonk, I seem to remember years ago that Chris Perfect did something like this in LROi. From memory he used some pretty heavy stuff, maybe 20mm, by the width of the x members, & bent to the shape of the top of the x member. Can't remember how he attached it to the chassis but I seem to remember he attached a plate between the two to enable him to skid off humps etc. I guess he gained about 30-40mm extre clearance too. I'll have a look thru my carefully filed :(:( back copies & see if I can spot it. Hopefully someone else might be able to find it b4 me :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cheers, Steve.

Found it, August 1999 LROi, page163, he used 100mm x 20mm for the bell housing X member & 75mm x 20mm for the g/box X member. In his case he welded flitch plates on the chassis & welded the Xmembers to these, & because he'd forgot to drill & tap the X members, he had to weld the 10mm plate on as well. The plate had a turn up just behind the sump so it woudn't dig in.( Try dropping the G/box out with that set up :lol: )

I'm sure a man of your capability with fabrication could work out a way to make them detachable Tonk, CP reckons he got an extra 2" clearance like this.

HTH, Cheers, Steve.

PS Question for the mods.

Whats the go with scanning & posting a picture out of something like LRO, can we do this without leaving the forum open to charges of copyright abuse? I'm happy to scan & post the pic which goes with the article if thats OK

all interesting ideas, i dont think i'd go for the complete skid plate, even though its a good idea it would trap so much mud. i like the idea of the 20mm plate for the xmember though, although i'd have mine bolt on i think :unsure:

• 4 weeks later...

Tonk,

One visit to my house, and your infected with the HFH Virus, 12mm 20mm plate ?

And you take the P^ss out of me and the weight iof my truck :lol:

I feel a weighbridge visit coming on soon for you young man :lol:

Nige

PS I do have a selection of the thicker type "Repair Sections", PM me if you need some ?

Hmmmmmm, might even change my title B)

Tonk,

One visit to my house, and your infected with the HFH Virus, 12mm 20mm plate ?

And you take the P^ss out of me and the weight iof my truck :lol:

I feel a weighbridge visit coming on soon for you young man :lol:

Nige

PS I do have a selection of the thicker type "Repair Sections", PM me if you need some ?

Hmmmmmm, might even change my title B)

i'll weigh it once i've finished 'tweaking' some bits ;)

change your title? hmmmm i think i've done mine :lol::lol::lol: