Gearbox Swop

blz6662

Hi guys before my current box of cogs (LT77) completely lets go I need to do something - I've got the chance of a R380 from a97 300 Disco does anyone have any experience with this one. Is there any difference with the input shaft. Is there a prop length difference/flange difference. speedo drive problems etc.

cheers all - thanx in advance

Baden

Provided you get the bellhousing with it (and it's for the same engine) it should be a straight swap I believe. Check the serial number on the R380, early ones had problems with the mainshafts snapping but later on it was fixed. From Ashcrofts:

R 380 Development

The R 380 was introduced in 1994 with the suffix J which was a significant improvement on the LT 77 it supercedes, differences included a steel oil pump (as opposed to the LT 77 fibre one), an additional 2 support bearings were used on the layshaft and the mainshaft, wider gears, bigger diameter syncro rings, syncromesh on reverse and a longer mainshaft spline.

This suffix J did unfortunately have a couple of design flaws which gave the R 380 some bad press, they were prone to the mainshaft shearing across the oil feed holes, the layshaft also sheared at a stress concentration behind the sandwich plate causing loss of 5th and reverse also early ones still suffered from mainshaft wear until the cross drilled transfer case gears became fitted as standard on the suffix G transfer cases.

In 1999 the suffix K was used very briefly for a few months then came the suffix L that is used currently. The J and L are very different, 2 of the bearings were substantially uprated and pinion and layshaft teeth were widened again, this results in a much stronger unit.

Provided you get the bellhousing with it (and it's for the same engine) it should be a straight swap I believe. Check the serial number on the R380, early ones had problems with the mainshafts snapping but later on it was fixed. From Ashcrofts:

I've requested the serial no and as soon as i get it I'll post it - The gearbox is to mate with my 1987 V8 3.5EFI - will this be a goer?

cheers

Baden

Ah, missed it was from a 300tdi, that could make it a PITFA as the input shafts have different diameters. You may be better off seeing if Ashcrofts will do you an R380 and take your LT77 as an exchange, or maybe just rebuild the LT77 to latest spec.

Ah, missed it was from a 300tdi, that could make it a PITFA as the input shafts have different diameters. You may be better off seeing if Ashcrofts will do you an R380 and take your LT77 as an exchange, or maybe just rebuild the LT77 to latest spec.

And the no is..........................55A.0292632J I would be willing to send it straight to ashcroft for checking/rebuild as the price is right (sorry) any comment?

cheers

bade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Boxes now winging their way to Ashcrofts for total rebuild - I'll stay in touch and report the final result.

Bade

Received very nice shiny gearboxes from ashcrofts - many thanks Dave and everyone - to be fitted over xmas (hopefully).

bade :D'.

post-5388-1196286405_thumb.jpg